Wiring to add aftermarket amp to factory head unit??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Adams 2

Reaction score
My wife has an 05 Sporttrac with the single CD radio. I would like to install an aftermarket amp and a subwoofer and am wondering what wiring harness anyone has used to "plug" into the radio that has the low lever inputs (RCA)? I tried looking on the Scosche website but I really don't know what I am looking for. Ultimately, I would like to have a plug in wiring harness so that I can remove itif we ever need to sell the vehicle. The least amount of wire cutting the better. Will I be able to leave the door speakers hooked up wherever they are hooked up now? I am just needing to install an amp for a subwoofer enclosure.

Any and all help is appreciated!!!!

I still didn't find what I need. I don't need a wiring harness to add an aftermarket radio. I need a wire that can plug into the factory radio that will provide RCA inputs so that I can install a subwoofer amplifier. Anyone?

Use the Scosche FD23RB from the radio to either of these, with the adapters from Can Trac's link and patch cords should do it. And you should also replace your factory speakers with one's that can handle the power from the amplifier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for everyone's help. I ordered the Scosche SLC4 Four-channel line output converter from Crutchfield.

TRACket Paul, are you saying I now need to order the FD23RB? Will this plug into the back of my radio? Do I then wire that to the output converter? Also, I am just wanting to power a subwoofer right now. I will eventualy upgrade the door speakers as well.

Dan:

I am planning on doing the same as you. The adapter from crutchfield will plug to existing wiring harness,(It is male plugs) the Scosch 23RB will plug into the back of the radio;(It is female plug) You will need to splice some of the wires of the 2 uinits together to get ground, and power, and lights, the wires for the speakers(these are from the Scosche 23RB) would then go to the Scosche SL4C for your RCA low level imputs. This is how I understand this setup would work. Question I have is if the amp you purchase has both high and low level imputs why go the RCA route? You can run 8 high level wires back to amp.

Ivan