Wiring Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wilson

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where/which wire or wires under the dash are for the

reverse lights. I have a project I am working on for my emergency lights, and

it's cold and dark outside (waah!, I know!). Since I'm not tired, I thought I might

get a head start on it tonight, so when the warm weather returns:unsure:I can be

ready to tear into it! Also, where do they exit the bed, and how to access?

Thank you for compensating for my laziness and fear of cold, dark places...:lol:

TnB...

Not knowing off hand, finding out is pretty easy, just remove a tail light and the wire with the colored stripe going to the reverse light is the signal wire.

The rear wires run against the inside driver's frame rail. It goes up in the opening under the tail light.

Thanks, Tiger.

I've been looking thru projects, and I think I've found the color of the wires

for the b/u lamps. I was just wondering if there was a color change from under

the dash or reverse switch, to the actual tail lamp harness, as I will need to

connect an auxilliary power wire under the dash to a dash mounted switch. :unsure:

Ah...yeah, I wouldn't doubt the color changes. The wire probably passes through at least GEM or 'super' connector and changes color. Just a hunch, as sometimes, a wire color that works out back won't work under the dash; only a few wires out back, but lots and lots up front.

O.K. Electrical Gurus...

Any idea on the color change, if any, between under the dash and the tail lamp

housing for the reverse/b/u lamps?:unsure:

Thanks...TnB...

Don't know if there was a color change, but, I am guessing the wire runs from the tail lamps to the tranny where the wires get energized once it is put into reverse. If there was a wire that fed the wire at the tranny, I would think this is where the color change comes in.

Well as near as I can tell from my wiring diagram.The color is vt/or,I would guess this to be violet/orange,from the central junction box to the digital transmission range sensor. Then it changes to bk/pk,black with pink from there to the lights. The newest my wiring diagram goes to is 2003. Hope this helps._Ron

OK, so were can I locate the wireing diagram, I an instaling a AVIC-D3 Pioneer (DVD,NAV,SAT Radio,Backup cam, IPOD dock, Blue Tooth) all in one touch screen double din. So to install this monster, it wants to connect to revers lights so NAV knows which way Im going lol. It wants E-brake connection cause it wont let you view DVD unless E-brake is engaged. It want speed control connection for more accurate NAV. Thanks guys!!!

The Guy,

Even though you have hijacked my thread (as I and many others on this site

do on a regular basis !), while others are looking for wire codes/colors, I

kind of worked up, not really a project, but a post where I had posted a way to

bypass all of the safety/parking brake junk so you could watch while driving, if

one would be so inclined to! I'll look for it now...;)

Latest posts