Wiring help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Szagala

Reaction score
Ive got a set of blue strobe lights, vol fire fighter, and i thought it had a cig. adapter. Turns out it needs to be hardwired. There is a black wire, a red wire and what looks like a jumper, a piece of red wire shrink wrapped to a piece of black wire about 6 inches long. There were no instructions included.

Any help from anybody? DO i wire it to the fuse box or right to the battery. what about the jumper?

so I emailed the guy and he said wire any way I want, red to positive, black to ground. The wires wouldnt reach the battery so I have to wire to the fuse box.

any help?

wire it to a fuse that is hot all the time and run a toggle switch between the fuse and your strobes to turn them off and on

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a make and model on the lights or at least what type of lights they are or a picture. Are you sure they are self contained strobes and do not need a separate power supply to run them. I just finished putting several blue strobes in my ST 6 of them run off a power supply and one set of two is a self contained unit. By your description so far I am not able to tell what kind you have as the ones that need a power supply have three wires as you described when the strobe tubing is stripped away but also self contained ones can have the three wires, the third meant to go to a switch and/or flasher. Manufacturer reccomendations for either type suggest you run your power wire right from the battery which is what I did, but it can certainly be easier to tap into a hot wire inside the cab if you know what you are doing.

Another question is how do the strobes flash, if self contained they would each have to have a built in power supply and flasher, I believe some older self contained strobes have the built in power but require an external flasher. Have your tried just simply connecting them to a battery or DC power converter (posts) to test them yet I would do that first. If you do end up wiring to the fuse box one way would be to get an "add a fuse" or "add a curcuit" at any auto store. You replace an exiting fuse in the fuse box with this and it alows you to connect an accessorie to it. If the two strobes are all you will have then consider tapping into your accesories plug in (lighter) on the side of your console by just removing the console and splicing in or wire a regular cig adapter to it, it is not that difficult. Where will you be placing the strobes?? If you can give me some more info I will be happy to help you. I am not an expert at it by any stretch of the imagination, I asked a lot of question and I learned a lot doing mine. There are a couple other members that have strobes as well.

I got the lights off of ebay, strobelightking.com. They are a self contained unit with a power switch and a switch for changing the flash pattern. I will be mounting them inside, on the dash. They are whelan compatible so I think that explains the third wire.

Guess I am off to autozone.

link below is for the same product, from another auction

Oh its not a strobe light its an LED light (the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably)

I have no experience with led's but know that they use much less power so it should not be much of an issue with tapping into a hot wire (fuse box or cig adapter in console). I would consider trying to mount it to sit just behind (or in front of depending on how your looking at it) the rear view mirror. That is what I did with my dual strobe and it is great. You can hide all the wires and have them come out the headliner just above the mirror, put a toggle switch on the console or dash and your good to go.

Latest posts