wiring 3rd brake light in my ARE cap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Levin

Reaction score
I put my cap on last week but have not wired in the third brake light yet. Since we're seeing warm weather and the Giants won, I want to go out and wire it now. I was thinking about drilling through the plastic by the in-bed electric connection and running wires to the driver's side brake light. Does anyone have any other suggestions and does anyone know which wires I should tap into?

TIA

Jake

Mine is wired into the left rear brake light, with a plug right there to remove the cap. Also, under the ST is a wire that says CMHSL (center high mount stop light??)IIRC that I wired the brake lights for my trailer into. It was along the left frame rail near my hitch.

The place we got ours from installed it for us. I just received our Curt Mfg. hitch receiver :D, and when lining up the holes to see where it mounted we discovered that they wired it through one the bolt holes for the hitch. :( I am going to have them move the wiring in the next couple of days.

Thanks cruzrtwdgt, I found those 2 wires underneath with the CMHSL label and they worked beautifully! I drilled a hole through the plastic around the power point in the bed ran some plastic wire sheathing (not sure of the real name for it) down and through some slots in the frame and made the connections underneath by the spare tire. I then filled both ends with some silicone sealant. I've got quick disconnects inside the bed incase I wanted to remove the top and voila! I no longer am driving around without a third brake light. I also wired up the 2 interior cargo lights while I was at it.

Rodger (& Georgia), I am planning on getting a trailer hitch soon, I pray I didn't run the wires through any of the holes I'll need to bolt it on!

Latest posts