Wires through the door jamb

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I need help figuring out how to run speaker wires through the door jamb. There is a rubber boot that runs from the cab to a big plastic plug-looking thing on the door. I couldn't figure out how to take it apart or anything. I just need to know how to get wires into the doors. Any advice?

Go to whelen.com. Find the instructions for installing strobe lightheads on '96-'01 Explorer mirrors. That'll give you a good start.

What I've always done is pull the rubber part off from either the door, or the door jamb, depending on which one wants to come off easier. You just pull and twist to get it off, it's a tight fit though. Then, I use a coat hanger that has been straightened with my wires taped to them to go from the kick panel area to the door. It's tons easier if you remove the speaker, as you can easily reach in through the speaker hole and fish the wires through once they get that far. Just pop the rubber part back on when the wires are through and all is good.

Be sure to use a grommet on the cut metal hole (if required), the constant rubbing from opening and closing will surely damage the wire eventually.

If you are trying to go through the big plastic connector it is possible you just have to drill out the hole that you want from the top I forget if it was red or black plastic but they have little indentations and the number of the hole next to each one just drill out however many of those that you need and you will be good to go.

Latest posts