Wire route through firewall

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Bosin

Reaction score
I'm installing some new off-road driving lights and I don't see and obvious and easy pass through for the switch wiring. I want to put the switch on the center stack.

Anyone that has a suggestion for a better switch or a way to mound a switch without drilling holes please let me know.

Im going to get started but I'll check back in while, I'm going to start by digging in behind the stereo to see what I can find.

After tearing apart the dash it's still a jungle in there. Thanks I'll try that but it is not the most direct route

Get another radio dash trim plate from an explorer with fog lights and rear window defrost. You can switch the defrost switch to another fog light switch for the factory look.:banana:

There's a rubber grommet at the foot well. In the picture you can see the red cable for my stereo poking through it. Originally, the installer had fed the cable through it by simply peeling the grommet open. When I discovered this was the source of heat leaking from the engine bay I decided to reroute the cable through the rubber grommet by carefully making a small hole adjacent to the cables already going through it (I used a razor to slit a small cross-pattern).

[Broken External Image]:

Trac 511, that is exactly the route I used. I used a coat hanger to fish the bundle of three wires through. I forgot that the clock source wire for my kenwood was already going through there.

Redranger7, I might try that project another time. Thanks all. I'll post a picture of my laboratories when I'm done. Hopefully before kickoff.

Latest posts