Winter Maintenance Checklist

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
Hey Guys & Gals,

It has certainly been a while!

I'm doing a website for a guy that owns a mustang restoration shop. In exchange for his new website, he will be doing some things on my truck for me. I have a few replacement parts for him to put on, but to make it worth the trade, I'm also going to get him to do some winter maintenance for me since I'm putting quite a few hours of work into this website.

I'm trying to put together a list of things I should get him to look at, so I thought I'd get your opinions incase I miss anything (which I most likely will).

I have already gotten a bunch of stuff ready for the winter, so maybe you guys should just view it as a "this is what you need to get ready for winter" thread.

Fluid Levels

-Check Coolant (I read that flushing this every 2 yrs is recommended - true/false?)

-Check Radiator Fluid (Someone told me to do this - I always thought it was just coolant lol)

-Check Steering Fluid

-Brake Fluid

-Windshield Washer Fluid (got it)

-Transmission Fluid

-Oil Change (I'm due)

Exterior

-Windshield chips need to be fixed (Obviously the Mustang Guy won't be performing this work - but I need to have it done before it gets too cold)

-Check rubber seals, belts, boots for cracks (I'll be doing this myself)

-Winterized windshield wipers (got some that are "good enough")

-Oil Spray (or other rust protection measures)

-Fix stone chips & scratches so they don't rust

-Wax?

Anyway that's just a quick list of things I'd like to get done to better prepare my truck for winter.

Please chime in if you think I've missed something!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check/service brake system

check/service wheel alignment

check/replace tires, tread, tire pressure

check/service interior and exterior lighting

Fresh coat of Rain-X on all windows and lights

Check/service heater/defroster operation

Check/service engine air filter

Check/service spark plugs as needed

Check/service battery, battery terminals, cables

Flushing the coolant is important.

Coolant can last for 10 or more years in regards to maintaining its anti-freeze protection. However, coolant contains a lubricant that coats the metal that provides protection to the metal parts. It helps both moving and non-moving parts.

Actually, the list does not contain anything that should not be done routinely (every month). In other words, if you do all of those checks on a monthly basis plus more, you don't have to worry about a special "Winter Maintenance Checklist", and you should continue with those monthly checks all through the winter, spring, summer and fall.

...Rich