Winter is approaching

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kody Budinger

Reaction score
Here in northern arizona freezing weather and snow has been in effect (yes it snows in arizona). What window washer fluid do ya'll use in the winter that will not freeze? Because last year when I drove my volkswagen I used fluid recommended for the winter yet it still froze and cracked the fluid container.

Most window washer fluid here in Alberta has a temperature rating on it. We buy based on temperature expected. Most bought for winter has a Minus 40 rating and for summer we buy with a bug detergent in it.

I always buy Rain-X washer fluid because we get a lot of rain here in Vancouver, I doubt you get much in Arizona. Windshields are pitted and everytime you spray their fluid it fills in some of the pitts so the water rolls off your windshield instead of getting stuck in the pitts and obstructing your vision. :driving:

Hey Kody, post a pic when it snows in Flag. I want to show the wife and kids. We've been talkie about going skiing there for a weekend. And since we are in Phoenix, it's only a couple of hours away.

:eek:fftopic:

Kody,

It's not so much in the brand name as it is in just reading the labels on the Washer Fluid bottles.

Yes, it does freeze in Arizona as well as most other areas of the country from time to time. If you read the labels on the washer fluid jugs, it should tell if it contains alcohol and perahps even the freezing point.

...Rich

Cuda I will definitely do that just keep an eye out of my profile. Snowed a few inches two weeks ago and some more good storms are rolling in soon!

You gotta be sure to dump out all the old stuff before you fill it with the new. Be sure to run the washers a bit to flush the old stuff out of the lines.

I was a native in the valley until a few years ago so The few inches you deal with in northern AZ (Once in a while) is just a nuisance compared to other areas of the country like WY. If you drive to Flag once in a while, don't worry about freezing fluid unless you overnight in below freezing. Driving through your engine will keep the fluid warm enough. Zero degrees is rare in Flag or anywhere in Northern AZ and unthinkable in Phx area. Likely you may have to get the AF fluid in Flag since it is not needed in the valley.

And I know the high country can get more snow than a few inches but its rare to be in the valley and its not a worry unless you stay there a lot.

Here in Wisconsin, I use Splash low-temperature washer fluid year-round. The extra methanol in it melts the ice and snow in the winter and dissolves bug guts in the summer.

52ef8de9cfd44b0ed71ee40bddaefd05.jpg

I too live in Wisconsin, and have been using Rain-X washer fluid year 'round. I also treat my windshield before going on long trips in the summer, and before the snow starts falling. Rain-X is OK, and available everywhere, but I use a special treatment that my local Valvoline oil change store does for $25. That seems to last much longer than Rain-X.