Windshield wipers won't turn off.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorgeMan

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
Greetings to you all,
Yesterday when out in my 2004 sport trac, I turned the wipers on to clear leafs off the windshield and afterwards I wasn't able to turn them off, even when I shut the vehicle off. I had to pull the fuse in order to get the wipers to stop moving. I disconnected the battery for ten minutes but to no avail. Anyone have an idea of the problem?

i had this happen to my LS couple years back. i had to pull a wire on the clockspring and flip it to fix issue. im unsure why or how it happened it was wild.

Never had a wiper problem with my 2005. IIRC, the multi function switch (MFS) is notorious for intermittent issues on 2001-05 Sport Tracs. Another possibility is the MFS connector being too short from the factory causing certain functions to fail after the steering wheel was tilted. IF you have a tilting column try moving it all the way up and down several times leaving it all the way UP. If OK, search for actual multi function switch threads here and other Ford forums. Good luck and keep us posted.

i had this happen to my LS couple years back. i had to pull a wire on the clockspring and flip it to fix issue. im unsure why or how it happened it was wild.
Thanks for responding. Wild is a great way to term it! I'm taking it over to my friend mechanic to get fixed.

Never had a wiper problem with my 2005. IIRC, the multi function switch (MFS) is notorious for intermittent issues on 2001-05 Sport Tracs. Another possibility is the MFS connector being too short from the factory causing certain functions to fail after the steering wheel was tilted. IF you have a tilting column try moving it all the way up and down several times leaving it all the way UP. If OK, search for actual multi function switch threads here and other Ford forums. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the responding and feedback on what could be the problem. I'll get back to the group once this issue is resolved.

Sounds like the Ford/Motorcraft MFS is discontinued. IF the MFS switch is your wiper problem click the link below. Confirm fitment BEFORE ordering.
https://sporttrac.org/threads/2004-2005-turn-signal-switch-substitute.123518/
Here's a related EF thread. Once again, check similar threads on the bottom of the page.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266340
Thanks very much for the updated information. I shared your message with my mechanic and will see what comes from it. He's done alot of quality work on my truck over the past few years.

Good suggestion. The tilt column will stretch against the wiring harness and pull some wires loose when tilted too far down. Usually, the turn signals are the victim when that happens. This is a common problem on Gen 1 Tracs.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Ford/Motorcraft MFS is discontinued. IF the MFS switch is your wiper problem click the link below. Confirm fitment BEFORE ordering.
https://sporttrac.org/threads/2004-2005-turn-signal-switch-substitute.123518/
Here's a related EF thread. Once again, check similar threads on the bottom of the page.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266340
Well, my mechanic said something had shorted inside the wiper motor causing an early death. He said the motor controls a number of functions and one of the relays is stuck. Does this sound normal to any of y'all? Anyways, it's more money to replace another weathered item in the Sport Trac. Age is rearing its ugly face on more than one thing!

Latest posts