Windshield Moisture

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Trac with 44,000 kms on it. Winter is blowing in here quickly. My problem is the inside of the windshield is freezing up constantly. There is always moisture built up on it. Every morning I have to scrape the inside of the windshield off from a small layer of ice build up. What could be the problem? Thanks.

Mike

If it is on the inside. I would think there has to be some moisture stand some where inside. Maybe water standing in the ac or vent housing, that hasnt drained. Or leaking in through the vent system from the outside.

I've always turned my system to the off position whenever I shut a vehicle off and I feel that doing that keeps any outside air from creeping in the vehicle. Just a theory I have not sure if it will help you or not.

Put a container of "Damp Rid"in the truck for a few weeks. If there's moisture, it'll suck it out. Obviously, make sure the windows and vents are closed tight.

I put one in my Popup camper when it's closed. You wouldn't believe how much moisture it pulls out. When we open it up, we empty the water out and the camper NEVER smells badly.

The only thing you need to be careful of - is that it will suck the moisture out of the truck - the container will fill up with water so make sure it's secure or it'll spill and you'll be back to square one.

The stuff really does work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check to see if your AC compressor is kicking in when you have it on defrost. The AC kicking on will pull the moisture out of the air. If it cycles quickly, your system may have have a leak.

I had a rock hit my condensor (mounted in the front of the radiator) and put a hole in it. You may have the same issue.

Tom

I've run into this in the winter when snow & ice get into the floor mats, only to melt later and re-condense on the inside of the windshield. If your A/C drain is blocked, allowing water to drain into the cab, you'll have the same problem.

You definitely need to leave the HVAC vent <I>open</I> when the vehicle is parked. Closing it blocks off airflow that would help prevent or reduce humidity build-up inside the cab.

Latest posts