Windows vista/IE problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Roberson

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, I just picked up a replacement laptop and this new one has Vista and IE 7. When exiting IE it says there is a problem and shuts down and reopens. Or if there is other pages open such as a link once closed it closes the entire browser and restarts I searched the help section on IE but didnt find much.

i personally have not had that problem with my vista laptop. I've had it for 6 months, bought Guitar Hero 3 for PC last night found it doesn't play nice with Vista so Vista is coming off in the next few hours.

oooh I can not stand Vista....and I always have an IE issue with Vista.

I run the updates but nothing changes...always the same...

I have had it happen once or twice. The browser is or could be doing something, like completing the page, and when you close the window the program thinks it unexpectedly stopped working (crashed), so it restarts.

As far as opening other pages, use Ctrl+T. This opens a new "tab" instead of a new window and will use fewer resources on your computer.

Since this problem has only happened a few times for me in the far away past, I have not found a solution.

As far as Vista is concerned: I have not had more fun with an operating system. I have it installed on 4 different computers and not one gives me problems.

If you haven't done so, go to the Microsoft website and make sure you have all the recent updates (there may be a fix since you computer was loaded). If that doesn't work do what millions of others have done (including me) download Mozilla FireFox.

I have had no problems with vista for many months now. Note I don't use internet explorer though I use Mozilla Firefox and have for a long time. Much better and faster than i.e. and never have a problem with anything.

Tools / Manage Add ons

Enable or Disable Add ons

Disable all of them for awhile and see if it still happens.. if it doesn't slowly add the ones that you know what they are back in.

My old computer finally had enough stuff go wrong with it Best Buy replaced it finally. The new computer is three times what the old one was and it was still fairly comparable to low end models of today and it was 3 yrs old almost to the day when it got replaced. But with the new computer I have Vista and still learning it some of it is nice but then it has its problems and closes IE entirely I really dont like trying to find where I left off from or when doing something truely important like filing something.

Just to counter the Vista haters...

I've had Vista and IE7 for months as well, and other than some initial problems with drivers (not Vista's fault) I haven't had any problems with either.

I've been running it since RC1 (beta) with no issues that I can recall.

I had one client with a 8 year old scanner that I couldn't get to work, everything else I have figured out some way to make it happen.

I have 4 Vista machines now and I'm down to 1 xp, and don't be suprised if you see it in swap and sell soon.

Here is what I hate about Adobe products on Windows...

New version of the software trump old version drivers. In the sign business I have to have Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator CS, CS2 and CS3 as each version has it's issues when opening files produced in different versions.

Guess what? I don't have those issues on the Mac system I have. Maybe that is an Adobe issue. However, they are a premier partner for MS and they should help fix the issues.

I know what you mean Seattle. My old computer at work was running crappy so I just got through rebuilding a new one like a week ago. It was running fantastic until I installed the Adobe Suite on it. Today it tried to upgrade and totally screwed up my whole computer. Had to restore the computer to a previous point and then uninstall Adobe. I hate Adobe with a passion. I'm going to seek alternatives.

By the way I wouldn't use IE7 on any computer. I only use Opera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts