Windows 7

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean M 2

Reaction score
Anybody try out Windows 7 yet? The beta is currently out and available for download. I installed it on my laptop (Dell D630) yesterday. I like it alot, it installed great, and recognized all device drivers etc. Its what Vista should have been. Very impressed thus far.

I'll install it on Bootcamp after it comes out in final form. Cannot beat the stability (never thought I would say that) of XP.

However, it *looks* good so far--a very modern, refined GUI.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using Vista 64-bit on my Dell XPS M1330. Very stable and fast system. It is the only computer in my house that will run Windows 7 to it's full capability, and it is my primary computer so I don't think I will risk running a beta version on this system.

Vista is what ME was back in the day. Functional but full of wierd issues. Nothing major, just annoying. Most of the repair world laughed at all the ME systems we saw after 2000 came out.

I am running the 32bit version on my Asus eeepc 1000h. I am running the 64bit on my desktop. I truly dislike vista now, this operating system is great. I was using vista ultimate x64 and explorer would constantly hang. With win7 everything has been great; no drivers issues no bsod's nothing just smooth fast usage. I have not booted into vista since ive installed it.:cool:

Evan, your problem was with Explorer. I did have some issue with that the first few days I had my new computer, but then I started using only Firefox or Google Chrome and every issue disappeared.

Hmmm...maybe a hardware issue. I use my laptop a lot and never had an issue, except with Internet Explorer. Of course this Dell isn't the average computer. It has 4GB of RAM and a fast processor. It is basically designed for gaming, but I don't have any games. I just use it for information management and communications (email, skype, etc)

FYI, the next version of Internet Explorer version 8 will auto install itself unless you take precautionary actions...

bo, I have windows update set to notify only. I manually update. Would I not have the choice then, without the blocker tool?

I have not been keeping up with new Windows versions as my XP Pro works perfectly. What is Windows 7? I thought Vista was the latest and greatest and comes installed on all new computers??? Is this Windows 7 beta free??? Why no license or when will you have to pay for the license if you are trying out the beta?

Vista is what ME was back in the day. Functional but full of wierd issues. Nothing major, just annoying. Most of the repair world laughed at all the ME systems we saw after 2000 came out.

Bingo! Rumors are still flying around for XP support will be extended. Windows 7 is supposed to be the next XP, comparing stability that it.:eek::blink:

I downloaded Windows 7 and installed on an old computer(sadly, this is the fastest computer in my house: Athlon XP 2600+, 6600 GT video card, 3/4 of a GB of ram, 40 GB hard drive). I could not believe how fast it installed and it runs great(after a few driver tweaks). I am a die hard Windows XP fan and have had little experience with Windows Vista. But, I am having fun testing Windows 7. If you have an extra computer your not using, give Windows 7 a try.

I may have to try it on the older computer. I won't put it on my Dell just yet, since it's my primary computer, but I will try it out on the one I have V-U installed on.

TomT,

I used a Commodore PET back in 1979 in my high school computer class. I don't believe they will run any Microsoft software. They were strictly proprietary. :D

Keep in mind if you install the beta on a system it will either expire or you will be required to pay on release for a license. So in a year or however long be prepared to have to reinstall.

Latest posts