Window won't go up.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Magana

Reaction score
My Drivers side window wont go up. I press the button up and it does nothing. I press the button Down and I hear a one second Buzzing sound coming from under the dash area. Can anyone give me a little insight as to what the problem might be and how much it would cost to get it fix? Also, is it something I can fix myself rather than going through the dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jose,

I had the same problem a few months ago with my Ranger, in my case, the motor had burned out. Ford charged me just over $200 to replace the motor assy.

Had the same problem last month! ST 01 Job-2. Does the switch still click when you push it? Mine wouldnt make the click u can feel it when its not...So I just replaced my switching unit. I replaced my switch unit with a part straight from ford 54.00 they had it to me in 2 buisness days. It took about 3 minutes tops to replace....literally.....

Mine does this occasionally. usually if I hit the other window buttons down and up it will start working again. I think the switch is going on mine.

With power windows the plastic drive sometimes flattens out and will not work.

First thinf I would try is tapping the lower door area with a rubber mallett as close to the motor as you can and hold down the button while tapping the botom of the door with the mallet. Sometimes this works however it is not a fix it just gets your window up. My wifes 1999 Sebring had this happen to the driver side window. As long as you don't roll you window down all the way and just leave it up about 1" it will work.(hers is going on 2 years).

The fix for this is about $200.00 and my wife just won't let me fix it. She has gotton pretty good at tapping the bottom and getting it to work.

Pete 03

Well summer is finally here, been a long time coming...

Had the drivers side front window 1/2 open today and tried to roll it up to turn on the AC.

Nothin' would not go up... did however let me roll it all the way down ... unfortunately it still will not go up. The other windows operate fine.

As mentioned in the original post, When the down button is pressed I hear a relay click from under the dash area just above the accelerator pedal. I would assume this would be normal as the window is already all the way down. Do not hear this relay click when the other windows are all the way down (but they do not have the "auto one touch" feature either)

Have tried some of the cheaper fixes mentioned on a few other posts.

Rather be at the lake than pulling off the door panel :angry:

Jose , what was the fix in your case? $$$$$

When mine went out, I had just pressed the button to put it down....it went down no prob. After a few min, I tried to close it and all I got was some clicking under the dash. I drove it over to Ford and they told me the window motor was bad and would cost aprox 200 to replace it.

So, I don't know if it really was the motor or something else, but that's what they told me and charged me. But did find that the window rolled up and down better than it did before the problem.

Thanks Martin

Is very much looking like the motor.

Have taken apart the switch, cleanded and even tried different contact cam in the driver position. With the panel off I can just hear the motor click and it is very warm to the touch.

Would like to take the motor out so I can at least block up the window till I can get a new one.

Never owned a vehicle with power windows, is this a big job to take out the window motor?

It is testable...

Remove the panel, use a volt ohm meter on the DC scale. Put the leads on the plug of the motor (The terminals inside the plug), operate the switch. One way should be 12 volts positive, the other 12 volts negative.

If you get power both ways, the issue is either the motor or the window regulator assembly...

I've never messed with one or even took off a door panel. :(

I know I could have saved some bucks by doin it myself, but just didn't want to mess with it and ended up paying dealer labor rates. I'd follow Coasie's tip and you should be able to tell if the motor is bad (which I think it is) or something else blocking the movement up.

Thanks Coastie... that is exactly what I had eventually done.

Got 12 v on the down side and 0v on the up.

Took a 9.6 volt Nicad battery out of my son's Remote Controll car and that was enough to get it rolled up till I can get a new switch.

gonna put the panel back on and take the boy out to for some mini putt. Too late to go to the lake.

Great site

Thanks again all for the help... :D

I was just going to post that my rear passenger right side window quit working. Weird because I hardly ever use it. If a motor was going to go bad you would think it would be one of the front windows. My question is, if it was a switch wouldn't one of the two switches work? (Drivers control panel switch or switch on door itself). I'm sure not going to pay $200 to fix a window I only roll down a couple of times a year.

My window was the drivers window and when it happened, I was just pulling up at work and rolled it down, then it wouldn't go back up and we were expecting heavy rain within hours.

So, either I took the day off and took it back home n put it in the garage and loose a days pay or book it to the dealer......I chose the dealer....just didn't think it was going to cost so much....but duh.....everything is friggin expensive at the dealer unless your under warranty.

This was on a 2003 Ranger

Tom

The only way to confirm is to remove the panel and test the circuit with a volt meter at the motor as Coastie has pointed out, and go from there.

While I had the panel off I also applied voltage directly to the motor, in my case the window rolled up, confirming motor was OK.

Latest posts