Window Tint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can Trac

Reaction score
Has anyone used pre-cut window tints on the front windows? I'm looking at these for a self install, but wondering if it's worth the grief and aggravation to save a couple of bucks??

If you do it yourself = bubbles... or it may not stick and get all purply and ugly - i see that alot on cars... plus if you try it yourself and mess up - the adhesive from the tint is a pain in the butt to get off...

I'd reccomend paying a shop to do it... obviously it will cost more than what ebay has on it.. but in the end you will be happier..

just my opinion... any others?

Window Tint is an Art! Of all the things that I can do on a vehicle, window tint is NOT one

of them! Save your money, maybe by doing your own oil change, work a little bit of overtime,

if you have that option, and pay "The Man" to do it right!

My local custom shop gave me a price of $99.00 with a lifetime guarantee. Mind you,

this is just for the front windows, but they pulled the front door panels off, where the edge

of the tint did not get hung up in the inner belt seal, as they called it, and start to peel the

tint after so many cycles of rolling the window up and down. It goes all the way down the

window glass, under the seal, and looks like it came from the factory this way. No rough

cut edges visible, etc...:D

IIRC, mine was done for $60.00. Well worth every penny I spent. tracnblack said it right. Window tint is an art. I can do anything you can imagine to a car. Swapping out an engine, no problem. Rebuild a tranny, sure why not...though it is not something I want to do. Install a stereo, lets do it.

Window tint...no way!!!

Tom

Also,

Check with your local police or sheriffs department before you have it done to make sure it

is within the legal limits of your city or county. My Son is a Maury Co., TN. Sheriffs Deputy,

and they carry a small card with them that they can get the "% of Window Tint" off

of, or something like that. Make sure you check with your local municipality on their

regulations for the "%" of tint, before you go ahead and do it. :)

Just an FYI, it is illegal to have front tint in Ontario. I have my windows done here in Alberta where you are not allowed to have any film on the front windows. I have had no issues in the city, but the RCMP pulled me over just for my 30% tint. It was a 150 dollar ticket. I just payed it and left it on.

In TN., the % law only applies to the front windows, those positions that can or cannot be

seen by, or through a law enforcement officer, that may cause them harm in a traffic stop!!!

(Driver and/or Passenger). In other words, they have to be able to see through the front

windows, to a reasonable degree, to see the driver and/or passenger.

But again, yes... Make sure your local window tinting shop is up on the laws and codes

for your specific city, state, or municipality, where you will be using and driving the

vehicle.

I guess they are worried about the horses not being able to see through the tint!

Go Royal Canadian Mounted Police, eh!

They really don't still use horses up there to patrol, do they, eh?:unsure:;)

They really don't still use horses up there to patrol, do they, eh

I wish, then I would have to worry about speeding tickets on the highway. I think they just use them for show now, or crowd control situations. Mostly they are just out in their crown vics.

While its true Olaf that your not supposed to tint the front here, you wouldnt know it, I would have to say the majority of newer cars have front tint, lots come with a little from the factory.

Heres one statement Ive seen - "For the driver’s compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed."

So its kind of a grey area and mostly ignored, but you can bet if the boys were looking for a reason to pull you over that would be a good one.

Cheers, Todd

p.s Olaf, my wife, her sister and all the kids, are on there way from the big town of Forestburg heading for Edmonton today, so if you up that way stay off the roads:p:D

I tinted the entire Trac to 5% for $150. Its not legal here to do it, and getting an annual safety check is a hassle (they use light meters now). BUT its worth it for me cause of some of the creepy guys here and I can leave stuff inside the Trac without enticing a break-in.

[Broken External Image]:

Here's mine tinted at 35%. Did it myself, cost for film and application materials was less than $25. Took a couple of tries, but I am happy with the results. I could have paid for someone else to do it, but wanted to see if I could do it myself. Patience is the key if you are going to do it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: