winc's 2003 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom S

Reaction score
b993aa48dc3e8f78e71d23e6a15b2a6d.jpg

ffa18f2b8aaa6cee60585aa077a1889b.jpg

2003 XLT 4x4... heated leather, moonroof, Pioneer 6-disc & sub. It has the Ford vinyl tonneau cover and bug shield, Hidden Hitch with 7-pin connector and a trailer brake controller mounted below the dash. Had 99,4xx miles on it but rolled 100k within minutes before getting back from the 9+ hour drive home from buying it. Most that I called on listed around here were sold, 2WD or lesser-optioned than I was looking for.

Bought it about a month ago, had been lurking the site before purchase and made a few changes already.

Apparently Monroe is discontinuing the Reflex shocks (or so several outlets have been telling me). Supposedly they're superceding them with the SensaTracs, so I changed out the stock shocks for a set of those. They ride a lot firmer than the stock ones, but none of the "drum solo" going on in the front suspension anymore. (Encountered a little "me-induced" problem afterward... when I lowered the spare tire, then the EVAP canister, two EVAP lines came disconnected and must not have fully sealed when I put them back on... got the CEL "EVAP small leak detected". Cleared the code, came back a few days later. Dropped the canister down again, put some dielectric grease on the o-ring for the press-in fitting and it now passes. :) ) Changed the front sway bar bushings & end links with Moogs too.

Next, I swapped out the stock speakers for some Infinity Reference 6822cf's both front & rear. I've bought many speakers before, but have to say these have extremely crisp & clear highs and decent mids... no muddy/tinny sound at all... very satisfied with them, and oddly even the factory sub sounds better.

Took a look at the spark plugs & wires... already has 8mm Autolite wires, so those will stay for now. Had Bosch R3 plugs that look like they've had better days, not to mention that 2 of them were only finger tight and had carbon-spray on them from not being fully seated. Swapped them out with a set of NGK Iridium IX plugs... saw an immediate improvement in idle quality and throttle response. Changing the plugs took about an hour, wasn't as bad as I've read other say it can be... found the passenger side easiest with a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter and a 1/4" ratchet & 5/8" swivel socket, hardest one was the middle with a longer adapter (swivel didn't want to rotate very well, was binding).

The next mod will likely be a 2-3" lowering in the rear to bring the wheel-well spacing closer to equal, then maybe a 1/2-1" torsion-untwist to the front. Has anyone here lowered a 4WD ST? Advice welcome.

I'm on the hunt for a bed extender (originally had one but wasn't with the truck when I bought it) and a folding bed cover, but they're not in my budget for the moment.

Transmission fluid is clean & red, not grey & smelly like a few others I'd looked at. Front brake pads were just changed by the dealer before I bought it. May also look into changing the transfer case, front & rear (D2) differential fluids too.

What areas am I missing for preventative maintenance? Any other suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

BTW... I love this truck. It steers & rides SOOO much better than the Sonoma/S10/Canyon/Colorado I'd also been considering, also has a lot more passenger room and heavier payload/towing capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site.

Hopefully you will gleen the knowledge of these experts on this site.

There are too many to list.

But if you do have question, it will be answered very quickly

and they have more hands on experience than alot of dealerships.

Welcome to the site.

Ditto what bud said.

One more hint. get rid of those GY RTS tires. They are junk.

Yeah, I'm not fond of GY... been eyeing up the Grabber HTS & tirerack's reviews of them, same for the Dueler HL Alenza, but the Wranglers have a lot of tread left... I want to get rid of them, but my frugal side is telling me I have to wait. :( I'll have to see which side wins.

Thanks for the welcomes! :)

I had those on my Ranger and never had an issue with them...donno about how they wear on a ST....

Welcome to the site/club winc

Welcome to the site !!!!!

very Clean truck....

Submit some pics for STOTW !!!

Todd Z

I might wanna do a few personal touches before submitting it for STOTW :lol: It's too much like stock right now.

Sooo... anything else I should replace or check out soon? Advice on lowering?

The majority of use will be highway, hauling around car parts (I work for a recycler), eventual stump-pulling (had 80-90 trees cut down in my back lot), and maybe hit the occasional beach trail or two.

What fluids are recommended for the transfer case & diffs?

Besides the dealer, where else can I find the rear diff (D2 axle code) additive, and what do I look for on the bottle?

What coolant should I use after flushing the system?

Which PCM tune/tuner has the best compromise of price/power/mpg gains on 87 octane?

Welcome to the site, and ST'aholics. :D

You really did your home work. Write up a projects on how you changed the plugs. You can have more than one projects for doing the same thing (see Ride & Handling / shocks). I recommend Royal Purple full synthetic oil in your engine, tranny and diff. Have your drive shaft checked for balance, and put on new U-joints. Check your upper and lower control arm bushings too. I personally would not have listened to the people telling you about the Monroe reflex being discontinued; as I have had parts stores tell me that about the Rancho RSX 3 yrs. ago and it has not happened yet.

Get an SCT XCalibrator from our site sponsor Torrie at Fast Parts Network.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome!

Nice looking Trac. I have a white 02 that looks just like yours! :cool:

The Trac is a great little truck and this is terrific place to talk/learn about it.

I hope to see you around! ;)

Welcome to the site Winc. Great looking ST. I replaced my Ford shocks to Monroe Reflex 3 months ago. They're much better than the stock ones.

Aloha and Welcome!

Nice trac. If I had a 4x4 I'd lift a a few inches and throw some 31's or 33's on there. I'm planning on installing a 3in. drop on mine soon since it's a 2wd (couldn't justify a lift). Check out the projects section. Lots of great ideas and info there.

Winc, welcome to the Trac site! It looks like you've done quite a bit of homework before purchasing your vehicle. You should be really happy with your purchase! I also have a 2003 XLT 4x4 and look forward to driving it EVERYDAY.

HawaiianST,

RAISE that thing.. screw the 2wd. Its all good!

The two wheel and four wheel suspensions are the same, so lifting or lowering work the same either way. The only thing you can't do is switch the spindles to lift or lower, since the 4wd spindles are different than the 2wd. I haven't seen anything about an aftermarket 4wd spindle.

To lower the 01-05 Sport Trac requires lowering blocks in the rear between the spring and the axle, and loosening the torsion bar bolts in the front. Get a re-alignment done afterward. Shouldn't be a problem with 4wd.

Just keep an eye on things and look here for questions on problems you might have. And look through the projects section. That should keep you busy for awhile!

As for maintenance, changing all the fluids is a good idea. 100k miles is not too much. I have 170k miles on my 2003, and it's all original except for normal maintenance.

Bought & installed a Dynachrome Line 2" lowering block kit by Make Waves Instrument Corporation from Advance Auto Parts. Intallation wasn't too hard... toughest part was probably moving the axle forward again to get the pins to line up, and bending the new U-bolts to fit into the perch, but even that wasn't too bad . Side one took about an hour, second side about half of that. Didn't get started until late afternoon, close to dark before I got done so didn't get pics... maybe get to that tomorrow.

Overall, pretty pleased with the $25.00 investment. :) Thinking I should have spent the extra $5 for the 3" kit though... dunno... we'll see.

hmm..

Well, its noticeable enough with the 2" drop IMO.

But I kind of like the clearance you had before. That may or may not have to do with the fact that I like my trucks raised..

good job

Latest posts