Wilma flooded Key West and my ST- help?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
Got back Friday- our house is on the Gulf side of Key West so our neighborhood was completely covered by the storm surge to 4-5 feet at street level. Our house is on 11 foot concrete pilings so its fine. ST and the LASIK limo were under the house- limo got 3 inches of salt water in the passenger compartment and won't even click-I think its a total loss. ST had wet floor mats front and back but oil is clean, it started and runs and all functions operative. What should I watch for or replace? :unsure:

I've read there is a inlet into the rear differential which may allow water to enter. I would have the rear differential serviced to ensure no salt water is mixed with the fluid. If you suspect the water went beneath your flooring, you may also want to pull out the rubber floor mat and clean any remnants of salt water out. Nothing corrodes metal worse than salt water. I'd also clean the undercarriage thoroughly with a high pressure sprayer and then have all fittings and moving parts relubed.

Just to add what Nelson stated, change the differential fluid, front (if equipped), and the Transfer Case (if equiped). Also, as Nelson said, wash under your Trac. Wash, wash, wash. Up north, our car washes have a "chassis bath". If you got something like that in KW, use it.

As for your Lasik Limo, charge the battery. The salt water might have caused the battery to ground itself out because salt water conducts electric better then fresh water. You also might want to hose down under the hood on both vehicles to clean any salt water from the engine electronics.

Tom

>> You also might want to hose down under the hood on both vehicles to clean any salt water from the engine electronics

You can hose an engine off?

Series question!

TJR

I hose mine off every time I wash my ST. Of course I cover the intake, but that's it. Degreaser, rinse, degreaser, rinse, then turn it on and let it dry.

Look at the tranny fluid and see if there is any water in it. You will more than likely be able to see this on the dip stick. It normally shows up as a foamy pink color if you have run it. If you have not run it then look for water bubbles in the fluid on the stick.

Change out all of your fluids with exception of the engine and tranny if it shows no water in the fluid. (Front end, Rear end, transfer case).

There are a few charcoal type canisters that are under most vehicles. The Trac has one in the rear by the left side shock up near the bed. If this was submerged you need to replace it. If not, you will get water into your emissions and have all kinds of trouble trying to figure out the codes you'll be getting. Most of them are vented to the atmosphere. As a result, if they are submerged they get the water into them and then the water gets into the emissions tubes, hoses, sensors etc etc.

Like mentioned above doe a VERY good fresh water wash. Inside and out. If your real concerned I'd pull up the floor mat (the actual floor covering, not just the pads) and then clean it out real well.

Sounds like it did not get too submerged. That is a good thing as vehicles really get screwed up bad if the water gets to various modules. Most are a total loss after that happens.

Good luck to you....

What about the pre-heaters, catalytic converter, or other bottom of the truck exhaust components - beyond what you'd expect from external corrosion, I mean? Can salt water back up through the pipes and muffler that far if the truck's immersed in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
kefguy,

While that is a possibility, I don't think it is much to worry about. Stick a straw into a drink. See the straw fill-up? Put your finger over the one end and then insert it into the drink. The straw does not fill-up until you move your finger.

With that being said, whenever one valove, lets say the exhaust valve is open, the intake valve is closed. So, in theory, it is next to impossible for water to get into the converters. Note, I said next to impossible. There is a small position on the camshaft called the overlap. It is where both valves are slightly open at the same time. The odds of being in that position should be pretty rare.

At the same time, start the engine and drive it on the highway or a steady higher speed for a period of time. Once the exhaust reaches operating temperature, the water gets boiled out of the exhaust.

There is a slim chance he got water in the exhaust, but like I said, I do not think it is much to worry about.

Tom

Thanks all- we had record rainfall here yesterday and I drove the ST through fresh water flooded streets- up to at least the previous salt water level. Seems OK. Limo dead as a doornail- tried to put it in park and pull it out of the garage w/ST- its locked up- brakes or tranny- not sure which but it won't budge. Oh well- I can use the Ins. money- will have to dip into savings this month with no business for 3 weeks.

Limo dead as a doornail- tried to put it in park and pull it out of the garage w/ST- its locked up- brakes or tranny- not sure which but it won't budge

take it out of Park!! it will roll alot easier :) with out having the parking pawl engaged.

Put it in neutral....

Latest posts