Will this rim/tire set-up work?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N J

Reaction score
I put a post out there about a month ago asking for help on what to look for when buying rims and to those who replied, thank you it was helpful. However, I think I've ran into another barrier.

after finding 20" rims that are the right bolt pattern (5 x 4.50 or 5 x 114.3), I'm not sure if the rubber currently on them will work. The rims have these tires:

Toyo Proxes4 Tires 245/35ZR20 95W

I have an idea of what the numbers represent but am still kinda new to the lingo. I need your help to figure out if this set up will work on the TRAC. Some friends have told me that the 35 rating will be too low of a profile for the truck.

Please help. Thanks.

245 is the width and 35 means its a low profile tire so you will have minimum side wall to absorb impact and you will eat up tires rather quickly. I think in a 20in rim 50 series tire would be much much better. You will get a nice sidewall to give you a much better ride and you should not go through tires quickly, plus it will fill the wheel well better. Hope this helps and by the way I am currently running 305-40zr-22.

The offset of the wheel is also important for the fitment under the fenders. Also that tire is only 26.75" tall. Stock tire is 30.1" tall..

To stay close to our stock size, look for a 275/45-20, 255/45-20 or 255/50-20. The 275 is probably the cheapest and most common size used on sport trucks.