will it heal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha,

I have the code P0136, (o2 sensor) I used a OBD2 meter to clear the code but I am sure that it will come back to me. Most of my driving is 1/2 mile to church and later back home. If I go on a long trip into town, it is 8 miles one way. My question is, if I go out and run up the mountain and back down at some speed (60ish) will the sensor burn off some crud and start working again? Or must I change it?

Thanks for your opinions Ed

Ed,

It might not be the O2 sensor. I cant remember. but if you do search. Or maybe someone will chime in. Somtimes it is not the sensor.

Ed, some error codes do not display or clear until some period of time, miles, or startup/warmup cycles. You can clear the ODB2 error codes with a code reader/reset device, the CEL will stay off until the error is detected again. If the error code is based on time, miles, or start/warm-up cycles, it may take some time before the CEL light returns. Some error codes will turn on the CEL light within seconds of restarting, while others may take 10 or more miles or several days of start/warm-up cycles before the CEL light comes on again.

Clearing the CEL light is probably the best first step just to see if it was a fluke, but if it comes on again...you probably should have it checked out.

Also be aware that the OBD2 system is not designed to pinpoint the exact failing component. Often times more diagnostics tests are required to determine exactly the what the problem is and what repairs are needed.

I have never been a big fan of just replacing parts until the problem goes away. That's aways the easy way out for the lazy technician, at the owner's expense.

...Rich

Ditto to Rich. DTC's won't pinpoint the problem, they list probable causes.

P0136 shows four. A good tech will probably save you money in the end.

P0136 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12) The downstream HO2S sensor(s) are continuously checked for maximum and minimum voltages. The test fails when the voltages fail to meet the calibrated limits.

Pinched, shorted, and corroded wiring and pins.

Crossed sensor wires.

Exhaust leaks.

Contaminated or damaged sensor.

Last edited by a moderator: