Will an 05 radio fit an 03 Sport Trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob M

Reaction score
My 03 Pioneer 6 disc radio/cd is starting to die - randomly holding cd's hostage for days or weeks at a time, so I no longer use the CD player. I found a 2005 Sport Trac radio/6 disc CD player on e-bay, and was wondering if it would be a direct plug-in, or if I need a plug adapter. I have seen vague references to this while searching the forums, but have not found the magic post that answers my question. If I DO need an adapter, any idea where I could get one? Thanks...

04 Ford changed the plugs... you will need adaptors...

Bob,

I have the same Pioneer in my Trac.

I found that my 2002 was holding my CDs as well. I would load a CD in a specific slot. IF, and I mean IF it played the CD, I would be lucky. When I tried to eject it it would tell me there was no CD in the slot which was just playing. I would also sometimes get CD error.

I was advise to reset the unit.

I unplugged my negative terminal overnight (I'm sure it takes less time but what the heck)

Damned if my CD player isn't working like new again.

Give it a shot, you may not need to replace your unit.

Thanks guys - I did finally get the cd's out after removing the radio from the car (similar to unhooking the battery), and it did seem to work ok again, but I am afraid to trust it with anything but home-made cd's now.

One other reason I am interested in a 2005 radio is that I see you can buy an mp3 player adapter for the newer model radios, but not the 2003 model (it can only use an FM adapter). I installed one of those adapters on my 2006 Five Hundred, and it works great with my Zune, so I'd like to do the same for the truck. Now I guess I need to find a place that sells a plug converter...

Bob,

I know what you mean about using only homemade CDs only. LOL

I do the same thing. Beside not wanting to keep original CD in the truck, especially in summer, in the back of my head I always wonder when will it screw up again.

The MP3 adapter is something that would be nice.

Eventually I will upgrade my unit to possibly a built in MP3 head unit with DVD & GPS. Crutchfield has a decent selection.

Good luck, & post some pix when you're done!

You will need to fit the newer 2004+ Ford radio's with the "Sat" button plus an adapter to fit the first generation of Sport Trac. The first generation radio's have an black plug connectors called "world plugs". The newer type radio's have a "phase 2" connectors that are colored gray. A radio from a 05/06 ford Escape will fit and will have the phase 2 connectors on the rear. One of the gray connectors is where the adapter for an external source such as a Ipod, Zune or Rca type sound source can be connected.There is a website "replacementradios.com" item # FWA-WPP2 which adapts the main connector from the "world "type connector to the newer "phase 2" connector. This will give you most functions of the newer radio but some controls will not work like external cd changer or steering wheel controls. The other required connector plugs can be homemade but require splicing wires together and following an diagram. I have an 2005 Lincoln Aviator radio in my 98 Explorer with XM direct so I can vouch for the swap being doable. If you have any other questions of me, feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts