Wierd Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgie Hidalgo

Reaction score
i was waiting for class to start today sitting in the car had it in park and i heard this ticking under the hood. the noise was constant ticking like something metal hitting something else. sounds like it was by the wheel but more towards the inside of the engine. this sound familiar to anyone?

It's common on many cars. It's the exhaust system cooling down and it will make those metalic ticking noises. No real problem.

...Rich

As Richard said, it is a common cool down. Your vehicle WAS off when you heard them right? If it was running it could be a lifter/rocker tapping. :banana:

Does it increase with reving the motor? It might be the belt or an idler pulley. Or as jerry said, a lifter or timming chain. The timming chain will do it while driving between 1500 and 2500 rpm though.

bigjorgiee,

Sorry, I misread your post....I thought you said it was Parked !

Like EddieS said, if it the ticking sound changes speed with the engine then it probably is a a pully or timing chain issue. However, If the ticking noise is random and unrelated to the engine speed, then it still could be the exhaust cooling down from a having just been driven under load. Even at idle, the engine is cooling down and perhaps the noise is just the expansion and contraction of the exhaust system due to temperature changes....Especially if the ticking is random and does not appear to be related to the speed.

...Rich

its a noise like a constant ticking under the hood when the car is in park and its idle just running at whatever RPMs the car runs at when the cars in park. but the cars on. i dont know what it is. does it increase when i rev? hmmm idk i havent checked. i dont think its the belt because i just had that replaced 2 weeks ago. it could be the harmonic balancer Todd C is talking about

Make sure the belt is ok and that a piece isnt shredding of of it and banging into stuff on its way around. I know you said its new but check anyway.

Since you changed the belt just 2 weeks and now you have that ticking noise, I would definitely be suspicious of the belt, or one of the pulleys.

...Rich

Latest posts