Why I don't shop at Walmart on Black Friday

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most retail stores hire extra staff around the holidays, my guess is Wal Mart did not.

IN a statement released by Wal-Mart stated: "the store added internal security, brought in outside security, erected barricades and worked with Nassau County police in anticipation of heavy crowds." Wal-Mart has already stated they hire extra help for Black Friday, you just choose to ignore or read the reports. Considering they have almost 7,400 locations in 14 markets, employ more than 2 million associates and serve over 200 million customers per year, I would say they do a good job. Considering even Disney World has accidental deaths each year, doesn't mean they are not trying to provide the safest product possible.

But ole Wal Mart being the global giant it is, WITHOUT A DOUBT, can afford some crowd control measures to make shopping safe for the consumer.

I'm sure they will up-grade their security for Black Friday in the future thanks to those several hundred scumbags that just had to save an extra couple of bucks for a TV.

There is no way that anyone can disagree with what I have posted. Facts are facts.

For the most part no, but you only stated your opinion, not facts.

(unless you are a Wal Mart executive who would choose the bottom line over safety).

They didn't become the largest retail organization in the world by being cheap, the negative publicity alone is more costly than a couple of more security guards. You can blame Wal-Mart all you want, but the death was caused by greedy selfish people only concerned with themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should start the line at the far end of the parking lot and spread it out, much like the beginning of a marathon, then turn them loose at 12:01am.

The normal Wal Mart shopper would then have to participate in a work out regimen to prepare for Black Friday - I guess you could call it 'their Super Bowl'. Society as a whole would be better off.

Of course special treatment for those with handicap parking stickers. (they get to start half way across the parking lot).

JT#14

Note - the above is HUMOR, please take it for that.

They didn't become the largest retail organization in the world by being cheap, the negative publicity alone is more costly than a couple of more security guards.

Wal-Mart became the largest retail organization because they catered to the common man. That changed after Sam Walton died.

By then, people were hooked on Wal-Mart.

If Wal-Mart were to be a start-up company today with their current business practices, they would fail.

Tom

A few years back a Best Buy here in Kansas City handed out "Coupons" for big ticket products to people standing in line until the qty they had in the store was given out. (one per person)That way the first person in line got a coupon and didnt have to worry about someone beating them to the item they wanted.

On the same note, the person who got there 15 minutes before the store opened, (This would be the person who hoped to push ther way past the others) was advised what was still available, if anything, and could then decide if he/she wanted to stay or not.

When the door opened at 5:00 AM, there was no need to rush in as the items were behind counters and given only to those with a coupon. Wouldnt this be the ideal way to handle this everywhere?

That is the way the Best Buys that I worked at for 4 years handled it every year. I believe it's company wide that they do that, but I'm not sure. It worked well and we always had a good plan going into black friday and as a result never had any major issues.

tom,

your reasons/facts why wal-mart would fail?

maybe because they offer a very wide range of product at great prices. not to mention one stop shopping.

Sam Walton was known for visiting a small community and going door to door to ask if that community would like a store. Sam never wanted to destroy the competition. He always wanted to be part of the community. If the community said they did not want a Wal-Mart store in their area, he would not build one.

After Sam died, Wal-Mart became a seek and destroy company. Build in a community, destroy the competition, and then raise prices. That does not make Wal-Mart very community friendy.

Those business practices before Wal-Mart became big would have killed them.

I rarely, if ever, shop at Wal-Mart. Why? Prices are too high. The stores are dirty and cluttered. Service is aweful. All of the Wal-Marts I have been in have a ton of stuff I do not need. They never have what I want.

I do stop in Wal-Mart if I am shopping for something that I do not feel is worth what they are asking for it.

Here is an example. I was looking for some ammunition for my hand guns and shot guns. Wal-Mart was higher than everyone else. They were higher than Dick's Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain. That is something in itself.

I just don't see the deals at Wal-Mart.

Tom

tom,

you use one example of high prices at walmart. also you state that "they never have what i want".

geez, what don't they have? maybe a t-shirt that says... MY WORLD :eek:.

geez, what don't they have? maybe a t-shirt that says... MY WORLD

You already have the copyright to those shirts.

That is only one example I can think of right now. It is not that often that I step into Wal-Mart.

I do know when I was in Maine, I wanted a cheapie $2.00 styrofoam cooler, but they were out and I had to buy the reusable styrofoam cooler...at 2 1/2 times the price...with that stupid Wal-Mart logo on it.

Tom

I own a drug store and many of the things I sell are also sold at WalMart.

People who come in with what I call "the WalMart mentality" assume that everything I sell is higher in price than WalMart and therefore don't buy from me....or anyone else for that matter.

The national association with whom I belong offers a pricing service, which I use. They check pricing monthly at the major competitors and send those prices to their clients. When I get those reports on the items selected for that month, and there are hundreds of them, I have my staff check my pricing and make notes of the differences, both higher and lower.

I've always been amazed at how many items I sell that are at or LOWER than the prices at WalMart. But instead of people buying things from the only source in our town, me, they choose to drive 10 miles to the NEXT town to buy at WalMart.

I can't say that it angers me, but I've always been puzzled by it.

Sometimes a customer comes to me or one of my staff and says "Wow! I've been buying this at WalMart but I just found it here for less." All I say to them is "That's great! Tell your friends", and I've instructed my staff to say the same. But I've been doing that for over 20 years and it hasn't seemed to help much. The same mentality still exists.

A note to all here: Please give the little guy a chance to earn your business. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

A note to all here: Please give the little guy a chance to earn your business. You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

I really feel for you. That is one of the reasons I do not shop at Wal-Mart. They do not have the lowest prices. In the end, I waste time going to Wal-Mart. I buy locally, if I can, and I shop by price and have found many times, Wal-Mart is higher.

I wish you the best of luck in your business. Wal-Mart will do everything in their power to destroy your business. They have the best prices. They say so, and unfortunatly, that is all people need to hear.

Fact or not...Wal-Mart says they are cheaper, so they are.

Tom

Les,

I know where you are heading. When I was traveling for 9 years, Wal-Mart was like a second home. Being an un informed consumer, I would shop Wal-Mart all the time.

No longer traveling now, I became informaed and came to realize that Wal-Mart sucks.

Tom

Jerry G,

I give the "little guy" a chance all the time. The tire shop 2 miles up the road couldn't come close to matching the price of tires from Costco (15 miles away) though I gave them a shot.

The local jeweler got my last jewelery purchase when they matched the price of a ring that I found from an e-tailer.

Sometimes the "little guy" can compete, sometimes not.

I shop "no where" on Black Friday, usually. Though I did buy an MP3 player at Radio Shack last Friday, though, only because I was driving by and they had no line.

I shop at Wal*Mart for a 90 day cholesterol Rx (generic) as they have the best price around ($10) and while I am there usually pick up some odds and ends things (disposable razors, omeprazol aka generic Prilosec, dry food items that are on sale; things like large boxes of cereal, etc).

TJR

And I appeciate you "spreading the wealth" around, TJR.

I've always had the fear that if everyone shops at one place, pretty soon that will be the only place to shop. Monopoly increases prices and the length of the line at the register.

Latest posts