Why does my exhaust sound like squirrel farts?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
The '05 ST I just bought has a dual exhaust- I guess it was done to enhance the tone, but it sounds very Japanese to me. Here are pics of the two mufflers(?) in the system. Some members here say their V6 dual exhaust sounds like a V8- not mine. Can I replace the mufflers to sound more like stock?[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

V-6 exhaust can never sound nearly as good as a V-8's exhaust.

There are some very good scientific explanations for this, something to do with harmonics and such, but I believe it to be very true.

The first one is a catalytic converter, not a muffler. The second one, the long skinny one, is a glasspack muffler, guaranteed to sound flatulent on anything you put it on!

Get a muffler shop to put any decent performance muffler on and it will sound better than a glasspack!

first im pretty sure is a cat

the second is a glasspack which has probably been worn out...

right now im just running straights...

sounds fine to me... not like... squirrel farts, which ive never actually heard b4 :lol:

um... how loud do u want it??? and u should ask Jeff C.... He is confident bout his exhaust sound i cant wait to hear his in person lol

the reason a v6 will never sound like a v8 has nothing to do with harmonics.

has everything to do with 2 less pistons:lol:

um... how loud do u want it??? and u should ask Jeff C.... He is confident bout his exhaust sound i cant wait to hear his in person lol

You can ask anyone at Louisville about my exhaust...:D

While Jeff C's exhaust is prob the loudest and most decent quality I've heard on a sport trac...it's still not aa good a quality sound as a V8...

Jeff has a youtube vid of his exhaust that sounds great even on a crappy computer. I'd check that out. His is about as good as it gets for a 4.0L

Seriously just replace the glass pack and you'll be impressed with the diffrence. Those glass packs are such a waste.

Go to flowmaster.com look at the diffrent models and makes. Figure out where you want to be sound level wise, inside the truck and out, then go get it. I have a flowmaster 50 SUV series because I needed to tone down the interior noise while having clients in the truck. It's still there but definately not as loud as the 40 series.

GL

lol yea... i would agree... loudest gen1 ive heard... and that was just on a cpu lol

thus y i want to hear it in person! next nat. meet i hope?

That's not the Cat Converter, it's the Squirel Fart resonator???? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

...Rich

4 step fix for squirrel farts--

1) Open hood.

2) Remove squirrel.

3) Remove can of Bush's baked beans.

4) Close hood.

:D

Yeah i agree with most of the guys about the Glasspack making the Squirrel sound that you are talkig about... Remove it... and replace it with something else...

At the last Sticky Bun Run in South Florida, Spaceman Spiff (Ed) behind a Big Rig (about 100 yards behind it) and me and StogieHog were listening looked up and seen the Truck thinking Damn thats LOUD very LOUD.... then the truck went by .... but in all reality it was Spacemans ST.... Me and STogie started Laughing so hard cuz we thought it was the Big Rig...

You should try making it to one of the Sticky Bun Run Meets they fun, and youget some good food too....

rob

switch out the glasspack for the flowmaster 50 suv series. its quieter and will sound a lot better than the glass pack. good luck. and even though its not a v 8 you can make it sound good.

Yup, glass packs on anything less than 8 cylinder, sound ricy. Make shure the muffler shop mounts what ever you get, far to the rear. Just before the tailpipe goes over the axle. Keeps the drone in the cab, down.

I have a custom y-pipe and with my dual exhaust set-up people swore I had a 5.0. It was a catless system with only the flowmaster, it sounded meeeeean. It's up for sale in the swap and sell section, only minus the y-pipe.

Latest posts