Why can't I get bullets?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
It seems that the bullets I wanted from Missouri can't be shipped to NJ. But I can order bullets from PA, and have them sent right over? Something about an April 1, 2008 law that restricts shipping to me. Sounds like more of Obama/U.N. gun control to me. Is there anybody out there, nearby, that I could have this order shipped to?? Then meet halfway to pick 'em up? Maybe get some lunch(on me) or whatever. Let me know. Bob :fire:

It has to do with the Mississippi River. Missouri is west of the river and PA is east of the river.

The bullets made in the west point to the west. The bullets in the east point towards the east. It's a safety thing that comes from the Civil War when we had a problem with North / South bullets. If they shipped west bullets to the east and east bullets to the west then we would be shooting at each other.

During the Civil War Missouri couldn't make up their mine and ended up at war with themselves. That's why they can't be trusted shipping bullets to other states.

Just a theory. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Feeling much better now.

Bob C,

I suspect that it is more likely some kind of NJ or Missouri law that restricts the shipments of ammo into NJ to only registered ammo dealers who have agreed to reciprocate on collecting NJ or Missouri sales taxes.

Many states have been complaining for years that they are loosing a lot of sales tax revenue because people can buy things on the internet and not pay taxes. I suspect that ammunition may be the first and easiest way to test the waters on State to State reciprocity agreements since guns and ammo have already have some state to state shipping restrictions?

Just a guess. It might be worth asking the company in Missouri what law they are referring to...It might be a MO law, a NJ law, or perhaps some Federal law? But if PA can ship ammo to NJ, it is probably some sort of Sales Tax reciprocity law in NJ.

Of course, Redfish might be right and bullets designed west of the Mississippi point in the wrong direction.... :grin:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
May be a dumb question but why not just buy them from PA? Or are they only available from Missouri? What are they? I am in OH but travel to west central PA a couple times a month. Will that help? I know a great burger joint in Clearfield, PA that is right off I-80. Denny's Beer Barrel Pub. Haven't been there lately though. You could also check out Grice Gun Shop while there. They are one of PA's largest distributors. :driving:

Bob,

I check the, sportmansguide.com, from time to time. I get some good deals at times.

I just bought 210 .380acp rounds for 1/3 of my local price. on special.

If you put them on your mailing list. Tell them you intrest. They send you specials.

Bob c,

You might want to check with www.CheaperThanDirt.com They sell a lot of ammo and that have a very large selection. Depending upon the caliber, occasionally there are shortages, especially for 380 ACP. It seems that the factories only run 380 ammo lines once a year.

I've bought both 22 HP Mini-Mags, and an assortment of 4 or 5 brands and types of 380 ACP rounds for my Ruger LCP, and Bersa Thunder.

I really suspect that it is some quirky law in NJ or MO.

...Rich

The Company in MO, is Midway. Some NJ law that went into effect on 04/01/2008 prohibiting out of state suppliers from sending to NJ. (I guess for tax collection purposes) I got plenty of what I needed from Cabela's. Its just that midway sent a discount for my birthday. Would have saved me about $40 for the same order. I can still order, just have to send it somewhere else. Gonna try the niece in MD. :banghead:

Bob, I buy from Midway all the time and do believe it is because of the a law NJ has. I work in retail for a large company and we have some stores in NJ and the laws there make my head hurt.

Cheaperthendirt is good to but watch the multiple warehouses on items as it makes shipping super high.

Good Luck!

Quote..."Sounds like more of Obama/U.N. gun control to me"

Except its the state of NJ that enacted that law...feds had nothing to do with it.

I don't think this has anything to do with Obama's well known anti-gun stance. Shortly after Obama became President, many gun advocates thought he would start banning guns and ammo, which did not happen, however it did prompt people to buy guns and hoard ammo. That caused shortages all over the US because the Gun and Ammo manufacturers could not keep up with the demand for guns and ammo in particularly popular calibers.

Obama was accused of limiting the quantity of guns and ammo that manufacturers could make, when in reality, it was the pro-gun citizens panic buying and hoarding that created the shortage and then blamed it on Obama.

PS: Don't get me wrong....I don't agree with most of Obama's liberal politics, but then I don't believe we should blame him for things he had nothing to do with.

...Rich

I credit him with helping better arm the citizenry.

I blame him for arming Mexican drug lords.

Hugh,

"I credit him with helping better arm the citizenry."

Probably true to some extent, but probably not what he intended :grin:

"I blame him for arming Mexican drug lords."

That is also probably true, but was the end results of the stupidity of others in his administration.

PS: The "Quote" button was not working when I was replying ??

...Rich

That is also probably true, but was the end results of the stupidity of others in his administration.

He either has control of his administration or he doesn't. The office of the presidency doesn't get to pass the blame down. JMO

Perhaps the executive branch is too big if the most capable administrator and most powerful man on Earth can't control it. Just throwin' that out there.

Hugh,

I agree, Obama is still responsible for what happens on his watch.... I just don't think you can say "HE DID IT", but he does own it.

Perhaps the executive branch is too big if the most capable administrator and most powerful man on Earth can't control it.

That is true, but it is also true for all bureaucracies. All CEO's and Presidents must leave some of the details to their VP's and they delegate many of those tasks down to lower level managers, etc and that's where things get screwed up. That is a very common practice and serves to insulate the Top Man from his critics and the lower level managers become the fall guys.

....Rich

As the top guy, you should make sure you have the right people reporting to you. Those people should be putting the right people below them and it should follow to the bottom. No matter how low the screw up came from, the guy at the top has to know he can lose his job over it. If the guys at the top are useless (Holder), he should expect everything under his supervision would be at great risk.

Hugh,

I agree with you, In a Perfect world, however that's not how things really happen in the Real World.

The reality is that most executives don't want to know all the details, nuts and bolts of the operation. They hire or appoint people they trust to do that for them... However, in very large organizations, the "Span of Control" is diluted at each step downward. At various points, many employees do not want to admit they screwed up so they lie or try to cover up the mistake. That is what insulates the CEO or President from legal blame, although he is still responsible for what happens on his watch.

In the end, some lower level manager or director is fired or deliberately falls on his sword, admits his error and resigns... sacrificing himself for the President or CEO.

Presidents and CEO's rarely state that they want employees to deliberately break the law. The simply make a strong statement as to what they want done...It is usually the underlings who decide they must break the law to accomplish that task...and they are who takes the blame for his actions and acts to insulate the President or CEO who can truthfully say that he did not order anyone to break the law and had no knowledge that it happened.

In the case of President Richard Nixon, he did not order the breaking at the Watergate hotel, but when he found out it was some of his staff who ordered it, he tried to cover it up. He was about to be impeached for the cover-up when he resigned. When they informed Nixon about the details of the Watergate Break-in, they removed his only shield, and left him hanging out there naked. His only choice was to try to cover it up, or turn in those members of his staff that were involved...He chose to lie and try to cover up the incident.

...Rich

Latest posts