Who lives in or around Birmingham Ala.?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Rose and I are driving to Albuquerque, NM to see her Mom. We are taking a new route through Birmingham and then Memphis. How do I get from I-20 to I-22??? I could turn on I-65 but google maps says 65 & 22 don't connect and I have to drive through town on Hwy 78. Any help would be great.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
LaRue,

I'm not from Birmingham, Alabama, but I did some checking. I-22 is about 1/4 mile short of reaching I-65 because of a railroad is in the middle and it will require a bridge and major modifications to I-65 to link them. There are also several other roads nearby that also end abruptly like I-22. I suspect that the bridge construction projects ran out of money due to the poor economy. I also know that years ago, Alabama was one of the slowest states in completing the Interstate road system in their state....I was always frustrated while driving through Alabama and their Interstate system was so fragmented into little pieces and not all connected. It appears that nothing has changed..:angry:

I looked around and could not find any nearby roads that would be convenient way to get from I-65 to I-22??

....Rich

Kinda figure I might try this way,, Go i-65 N then exit 264, TL onto Daniel Payne, the TR onto Coalburg Rd, next Left onto I-22. Looks like it might be a lot less hassles than driving through town. I could also go a couple more miles and take Cherry Dr. I found a forum that bitches about I-22 not crossing the railroad tracks and hooking in to I-65. This is the way they say go.

[Broken External Image]:

I do. Two things.

#1. I 22 is a new Interstate and may be incomplete in more than one place.

Have not tried it yet. Lots of Alabama country to see.

#2. Make sure you have a GOOD air conditioner in your vehicle.

It is HOT as Hades down South right now. :grin:

I just got this email from a guy on a city form, this is what he says....

Once you hit downtown, take I-65 North to exit 264 (41st Street North). Loop under the Interstate and head West.

Go about two and a half miles west on 41st Street North, which becomes Daniel Payne Drive. You'll pass Acipco on the left and a lot of industrial property.

You will reach a traffic light at Cherry Avenue. Take a right on Cherry Avenue and climb the hill heading North.

You will drive approximately 3 miles through a residential neighborhood. Don't worry. You'll reach the current terminus of I-22.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/alabama/525531-will-alabama-ever-finish-i-22-a.html#ixzz1X7egYfwd

I was thinking Coalburg Rd, and the satellite map shows it's a good road. Any experiances on this area of town? Is there any way you would be willing to check these 2 roads out for me? This guy says I-22 stops at Cherry but google sat says Coalburg.

LaRue I live in Birmingham and take I65 to Daniel Payne to Coalburg to I22 every day workday. I22 is 99% complete and 6 lane the part connecting it to I65 is not done. Speed limit is 65, run 70-75 all day long but watch out for the unmarked state troopers!

Thanks Craig,,, that's the way I'll go..................... Leaving next Tuesday evening. Stop overnight in Hotlanta and then go as far as I can to Albuquerque. Need to be there on Thursday.

Hey LaRue,

Are you and Rose going to be taking I-20 to the Dallas area? I just though if you were going to be that close, depending on the time I could meet you somewhere along the way and we could have dinner....Heck, if you don't mind driving down to Waco (about 100 miles south of Dallas, you and Rose could come by my house and spend the night?

According to Google Maps, my house is about 664 miles from Albuquerque, NM and Dallas to Albuquerque is 648 miles

Let my know your plans. If you can't make it on your way to Albuquerque, perhaps we can hook-up on our way back?

....Rich

Richard, Heres our game pan. All of this has to be done in 10 days.

13 Sep: Sumter to Atlanta 260 miles 4.5 hrs (after work)

14 Sep: Atlanta to Oklahoma City 850 miles 14 hrs

15 Sep: Oki City to Albuquerque 550 miles 8.5 hrs

16 Sep: Abq to Clovis NM 205 miles 3 hrs

21 Sep: Clovis to Vicksburg Ms 806 miles 13.5 hrs

22 Sep: Vicksburg to Sumter 690 miles 11.5 hrs

23 Sep: go back to work.

no real time for anything but driving. Rose's Mom is 98 and her health has gone to the "acceptable" range right now. Rose needs to spend all the time she can with her. We went to see her in April and at Christmas last year. This will probably be the only trip in 2011. Thank you for the gracious offer.

LaRue,

No problem. I just thought if you were passing close by, we could hook-up or if you had the time, you could spend the night here and save the expense of a hotel.

Perhaps next time you are making the trip? The invitation is always open to you.

...Rich

One of these days we're going to have to slow down got to and coming from. I know we have an open invitation and one day, I'll take you up on it...... BTW,,, I heard it got below 100 degreez today for you ... yippie.........

LaRue,

Yes, it has been below 100 degrees for about 3 days now. Now we are setting records for Low temperatures at night. Last night it was only 52 degrees which broke the old record of 55.

The hottest temperatures have been in the high 80's and low 90's since Labor Day....and it actually feels cool..:bwahaha:

Have a good safe trip, and I hop Rose's grandmother gets to feeling better.

....Rich

Latest posts