Who has raced their ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kaiser

Reaction score
I had a chance to race a 06 V8 Explorer the other day. It was kind a informal thing we came off from the light on a highway speed limit 65 I did a little more than the usual then pretty soon I have it on the floor with my wife and mother inlaw in the car what was I thinking.

We were even up to 65 then I backed it off. The next light we talked and he had K&N airfliter and some kind of catback aftermarket exhaust. I have 07 v8 magnaflow exhaust and Bamachips 91 performance tune.

I thought that wasn't too bad a showing because aren't Explorers lighter than STs?

Comments please bksptr

first off, i know it's hard to resist the temptation, but keep the trac on the track !

about a month ago as a goof, i ran my 07 4x4 V-8 (fully loaded) with magna-flow cat back at englishtown, nj and here are the "neck snapping" results:

1/4 : 16.245 @ 85.71 mph

the guy in the vette next to me had a nice chuckle as he was already having a soda by the time i got done :lol:

as you know these are really not for racing

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that 16.245 minutes? or did it just feel like it?

I don't think I could muster the courage, you're my hero!

A little while back I had a run in with an older BMW 3 series of some sort (my guess is that the year was somewhere around 2000 to 2002, not new but not too old either). The guy came up behind me pretty quick and passed me, but we both got stuck at a red light (two in total, so I doubled my fun). I floored it and I actually nosed ahead of him for a little bit, but he beat me to the second red light. This time, I anticipated the light a little bit and got a decent jump on him, but of course he ended up beating me to the final red light, and I mustered up what was left of my pride and turned on to a side street.

For a larger vehicle like ours to keep up with a street car like that is pretty awesome in my opinion, and if I had some performance upgrades, I would have left him behind in a hurry...

I was only able to keep up for the first 25 feet until the ST started to pull away from me and I was out of breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
ken,

the funny thing is that you are required to wear a helmet and you are waiting in line with some 10-13 second cars :D

I raced a Corvette the other day and whooped its ass bad.

It didnt stand a chance against my 4x4 ST.

Did i forget to mention its winter and our roads are snow and ice and i was in 4 wheel drive.:cool:

I had a coworker in Oklahoma that wanted to race me with his Dodge RumbleBee Pickup. It had a Hemi. I told him I would take him off road. I never had an urge to race in my pickup. It was so top-heavy I didn't feel safe pushing too hard, especially around corners.

My Mazda 3 is much quicker and handles great on corners. Hairpin turns are so much fun in this new car. :)

Raced a 5.6L Nissan Titan today. First light he got me by a length when we went from a roll of about 20. Second light, I got him by 2 lengths going from a dig.

What I have been wanting to do for a loonnng time is race mine against a stock trac. Just to see how far she has come along.

Tiger---exactly! One of the forum sites I sponsor it's actually banned and any post that talks about it gets removed.

I guess after 10 deaths in a year from members street racing they finally thought it was not appropriate to post that junk.

Then on other forums I see 20 different post about how some joker beat a Mustang. One of them lost my monthly sponsorship fee.

Now some of my buddies still think it's kewl to street race and we have had them at the track for a lapping day. And, I have to say they suck at driving, period.

lol I'll re-edit my words...

What I have been wanting to do for a loonnng time is race mine against a stock trac. Just to see how far she has come along.

What I have been wanting to do for a loonnng time is race mine against a stock trac safely on a race track. Just to see how far she has come along.

Be careful folks.

A few months back someone posted a video taken while driving that showed them speeding and blowing through a red light. I offered up a modest admonishment and offered that this site shouldn't be used to glamorize such activities and was told to mind my own f'ing business by many.

TJR

There are no "tracks" on which to race around here...only drag strips, but can you really count that?

I'm sure SST would tell me that there are tracks which have an epic driving experience in store or something like that, but they don't exist around here...and the pictures that he put up show little baby rally cars on them, so taking the ST out there would be like going back to an elementary school playground. Too big to fit in, and if you don't watch your step, someone is crushed. Even if there weren't rally cars, such a track is still enthralled in rally racing, which is a world that I don't really feel the need to step in to; certainly not with an ST, though that would be memorable :)

The only real way to "race" is to go from Point A to Point B, by any method of choosing, and see who arrives first. Racing from light to light IS a drag strip, and I personally don't understand the allure. Drag strip improvised from a street gives you fatalities, and drag racing on the strip gives you wallet hemorrhaging. Say you take 20 seconds...the nearest strip to me charges 20 bucks a run, so you are paying a dollar a second for a thrill which I believe does not exist.

(and the ST times on here are rather close to 20, so I can safely round to it to make a better equivocation)

The navigational race works out so well--I have a trac, my friends roll in cars. Though some of the cars are POS (cough 99 chevy malibu cough) there is still no way that I could beat them on a straight piece of highway. Sure, the trac could do 60 towing their cars, and they couldn't even budge the trac if they were towing, but that manly power doesn't mean much when you're dusted on a speed-only race.

With road knowledge, and admittedly some dumb antics, the navigational race works out. And if you drive the windy backroads like a man, you can beat out the faster (and more known) but less direct interstates/limited access roadways :)

It challenges your navigational sense, your skill, and your courage. And it lets you beat out challengers of the lighter explorer 2000 model, a 98 zx2, a 99 malibu, an 06 sonata driven by a guy who believes that you should try to double the speed limit, a santa fe, and a camry (that I can recall).

So what isn't there to love? The way I make do with limited fundage and no mythical super tracks around. Besides, as a self-proclaimed cartographile, it lets me express my arcane map knowledge in a practical manner.