Who has an '02-'05 Explorer?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd Quarles

Reaction score
So who among us has a 2002-2005 Explorer? I am thinking about trading the Trac. It's not that I don't like it- I do. But, an SUV with enclosed cargo area better fits my needs. Plus, there are a few annoying things about the Trac.

Anyway, I want to hear from someone with one of these. I had a 2000 and I loved it, but things sometimes change and not for the better. I found a 2005 Explorer XLS Sport 4x4 at the local dealer. It only has 5000 miles and I checked with the owner and verified that he just wanted something bigger and traded for an Expedition. It is pretty much loaded and the price is $16,495. It sounds like a good deal because I should be able to get at least that much for the Trac. But, if anyone has any comments about this style of Explorer, I would like to know.

My mom has a 2003 (I think) Explorer XLT with cloth seats. I prefer the cloth seats in my ST compared to the Explorer, but other than that I think that it's a very nicely put together vehicle. She has the optional third row, but it's folded down most of the time. The ride with the IRS is much better than the older generation Sport Trac. I think the styling is bland, but that's up to your opinion. You can't go wrong with an Explorer. My family has owned several.

My wife has the 2005 Eddie Bauer. She loves it. I gotta say that I sometimes prefer her cushy seats to my firmer seats in my 07 ST. It has the third row as well ( though I think she hasonly used it twice in the past year).

I drove an '05 Explorer on vacation last year. Just another boring run-of-the-mill SUV, in my opinion. Gas mileage was around 19-21mpg on the hwy, so not much better than a ST. Had the same industrial sounding gutless 4.0L V6 as the Trac as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do...

We also had two Tracs as well.

There is a BIG difference between the vehicles. Although I like the bucket seats of the Trac, the Explorer is CONSIDERABLY larger on the inside. Much more user friendly for passengers.

The cargo was not a big deal to me as I loved the theory behind the Trac, that said, it was convenient to throw things in the Explorer and not have to do anything to them other than toss them back there. We have the third row option, if you have two kids, I STRONGLY recommend getting the third row option. You will use it. Be it taking friends to the movies, b-ball games, etc etc etc..

The turning radius on the Explorer is MUCH better than the Trac. Very easy to maneuver in parking lots and what not.

Loved my Tracs though..

Thanks for the info, guys. I still haven't decided yet, the Explorer is still available and I just need to see what I can get for my Trac.

I averaged at least 21 mpg in mixed driving in the '00 vs. 16.5 for the Trac.

The turning radius would be a great plus. Anytime I am around a crowded parking lot, I have to back up and straighten a couple of times just to get into or out of a parking place. I don't carry many passengers, but I like the features of the Explorer better. Really, more bang for the buck.

I second the comment on the maneuverability of the vehicle. It seems that it drives smoother than the ST too, something I forgot to mention before.