who can reprogram the pcm

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Stiteler

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
To have the pcm reprogramed do I have to go to a Ford dealer, or is there someone else who has that capability?

We are thinking about purchasing an RV, and will want to tow one of our current vehicles.

2003 SportTrac which will require the NTK change to the pcm, or my wife's 2002 Mustang which likely requires a drive shaft disconnect kit. Both are automatic transmissions.

I have been lead to believe that those changes are required to tow four wheels down or with a dolly.

I have the data sheet and instructions for the Ford NTK although the kit itself seems to be not generally available, or $250 for a led and mount bracket for the led. The Ford dealer here says they want $110 to check and see if the pcm can be programed. So I was looking to see if possibly someone else could do it at a more reasonable price. And Radio shack for a $12 led.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. email is [email protected]

fred....

Only the 4wd vehicles need the NTK so I assume that yours is a 4wd. It's not the pcm that gets reprogrammed, its the GEM that gets reprogrammed if I'm not mistaken. Ford does not need to "check" if it can be done, it can be done. I've never installed one of these so I'm not sure where the wiring hooks up to but I can't see why you couldn't put your own led in there, unless there is some sort of diode or something in the led kit that is needed for the whole system to operate properly.

Got your message, a trip to Arizona might not be economically feasible, but likely would be lots of fun.

Latest posts