Whiter than White

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB

Reaction score
As many others have... I have the Silverstar 9007 bulbs.

Anyhow... I have emergency lighting in my corner lights (90W strobes) and I need a set of headlight lamps to match this "pure white" color. What are some recommendations? Has anyone found a "cheap" alternative to "pure white" headlights (without sacrificing the brightness)?

I was referred to this web site for more information by my roommate. Check it out. Pretty interesting!

I have purchased Xenon bulbs from www.eurodezigns.com and I love them. I had them in a blazer before my 2004 ST XLT and am still impressed on how bright they are without having to pay for and install the expensive HID kits. They are $25 a set and that includes shipping and a lifetime replacement warranty. I just installed the Hi/Low Beam headlights as well as the fog light bulbs. Theydo however have a slight Blue tint from the Xenon/Krypton gases that they are charged with.

Let them know I sent you over if you decide to buy them

Dane (Cheese) Jeurissen

Last edited by a moderator:
A member here sent me a set of EuroDezigns bulbs to test.

EuroDezigns had 1/3 the light output of Silverstar bulbs. The stock bulbs were twice as bright as the EuroDezigns were.

Tom

But if anyone is curious, I conferred with Daniel Stern of www.danielsternlighting.com and this is what he said.

9007. They're not very good headlamps, and there's no magic bulb that will turn them into great ones. There is no such a thing as "whiter" light; that language is a marketeering scam used to push the blue-glass bulbs (Sylvania Silverstar, PIAA, etc.). Those bulbs that claim to make the light "whiter" in fact produce considerably less useable seeing light.

Lots of bulbs are better than 9007, but only 9007 fits your truck's headlamps. The best 9007 bulbs on the market are the GE NightHawk 9007NH bulbs, which you should be able to find at WalMart. They won't make your lamps look blue-white, but they will make them perform to the maximum possible level.

He is a very nice fella, and was honest when I asked him multiple questions. He supports the Nighthawks over the Silverstar "trash" (as quoted by him) anyday. It's claimed that Nighthawks are 33% brighter than stock, whereas Silverstar are only 20%.

Another tip... which I believe has been brought up before on the forums... running your headlamps directly to the battery (through relays) will brighten them up as well.

I just picked up a set of the NightHawks today to see how they compare to the Silverstars. Unfortunately, it's raining tonight which makes it sort of difficult to evaluate the lights. They do seem to produce more light than the Silverstars, though the color is not quite a white.

I did a side by side comparison of Silverstar and stock bulbs. The Silverstar bulbs were brighter by, IIRC, 11 FC at 17 feet. The EuroDezigns had hardly any light output.

Tom

Latest posts