Whistle at 60mph +

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugsiegel

Reaction score
I have a whistle at 60+ mph and I can't find it. It sounds like it's coming from the windshield or someplace up front. If I hit the wipers, when they reach straight up position it will stop for that brief moment. So I know that is disrupting the airflow to the point but I still can't find it.

Anyone else?

I had an occasional whinning noise at speed. Initially thought it was coming from the speedo unitl I realized that they are no longer direct driven. OK, I'm old.. But it sounded like that kind of noise.

Found out that it was one of the serpentine guide pulleys.

Lou...

My '02 had a noise that drove us nuts trying to find. If I remember correctly, there is a exterior air vent centered between the hood and windshied that needed some foam / sealer that stopped the vibration. The Ford dealer found it - I don't remember if there was a service bulletin or not. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get hit with a stiff headwind, the air escapes around the "trap door" in your dash ventilation system. It can be a whistle, a groan, or a whine. Often hear this when driving around 85-90 and get hit with a head-on wind. Bob

My '02 had a noise that sounds like yours when it was new. The external vent cover between the wipers was the issue. The dealer used foam or caulk, can't remember, that eliminated it! Don't remember if there was a service bulletin or not. Hope this helps, John

bugsiegle,

Do you recognize the tune it's whistling.....:grin:

Sorry, that was too hard to resist...:bwahaha:

...Rich

I just noticed this on mine the other day when I was driving with the radio turned down really low. I think mine is coming from the radio antenna on the passenger side but not totally sure yet.

Latest posts