Whining Sound

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory Richards

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I haven't been logged in for quite a while, but I still browse the forums regularly, hope all is well with everyone.

For the past couple months I have been getting a whining/winding sound. I can't tell for sure if it's coming from the front or rear of the ST, but it starts at about 10-15mph and gets worse as I go faster. The sound is the loudest at around 45-55mph. It's a constant sound but it only happens when I press the gas pedal, as soon as I let off the gas it stops immediately. Any ideas on what this might be?

One other quick question.. A couple months ago my ABS light came on. I haven't had time to take it in to the dealership but I will sometime after I return from my holiday travels. What does it usually mean when the light comes on?

Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas!

-Cory

Just a hunch...........Do you have a wife or small children riding with you?????? Lots of whining can be heard all throughout the vehicle!!!!! Ok Ok ok just kidding....maybe your belts? Try the belt dressing I think its called, seemed to work out on mine, or it quite possibly could be the air intake..... breathing loudly while you mash the gas!!!! Sorry can't help more but try kicking the wife and children out of the car first!!! Merry Christmas!!

When cold, the normal issue is the alternator.

Ford put a TSB out on this and will replace the alternator with a 4-Door Explorer alternator which carries more amperage than Trac and Sport version.

If out of coverage, you are on your own dime.

Since the sound tracks the gas pedal position I would assume that it is in the intake portion of your engine (or injun if you're a cowboy") . What confuses me is that you express that it is loudest with speed rather than with RPM. Speed would indicate a vibration of parts in the grill or similar place that causes a shrill whining noise which would get louder with speed. That does not fit the scenario that says the sound stops when the gas peddle is let go.

My suggestion would be the isolate the problem by answering the following.

With the Trac stationary, does the noise increase with RPM?

Does the noise increase with speed at a constant throttle position?

Post your results and maybe we can come up with a solution.

Thanks for your responses.

b,

I tried belt dressing once before, it elimated a squealing sound coming from the belt but that was a totally separate issue.

Coastiejoe,

My first hunch was the alternator, but the sound occurs at all times, cold ot not. So even with the TSB, if I'm out of coverage, which I think I am, I still have to pay?

MikeC,

The sound occurs at pretty much any RPM level when I'm driving. When the Trac is stationary (in neutral or park) I do not get the sound when I rev the engine. The noise doesn't increase per say...Like if I am going 50mph the sound is the loudest at that point but if I maintain that speed it the sound is constant.

Dingo,

What would the pinion seal do and how should I check it?

Jeff, it is a bolt on, no problem or changing of any brackets or plugs...

Ford replaced mine, I was there for the service, took minutes was all.

Corey, if the sound doesn't happen when the vehicle is stationary then I have to go with Coastiejoe that it is in the drive train. When you take your foot off the gas the gear loading changes. First the drive shaft is turning the gears then the gears are turning the drive shaft when you let off. BTW the resonant frequencies for vehicles occurs around 55 MPH which may make the sound louder at that speed.

mine also makes this whistling noise, only when its cold though..Just like the other guys, its loudest around 50 -55, but when i let off the gas petal the noise goes away. Seems more like an air intake noise to me because its only under acceleration.

Latest posts