Whining 2005 4x4 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Casey

Reaction score
So, my fiance purchased this new off the floor before i met her (or else she wouldnt have bought it tho it has grown on me lol.). Had a motor issue which required a new motor after 90k miles.. Anyways, while driving on a normal road, i dropped the rear cab window and hear this whining noise. Checked the transmission fluid and it was a little low, nothing major. Topped it off with Mercon V... No effect. Where do i look next. It does not have a tow package. Do i check the transfer case, or rear differential?. Im torn.. Im thinking differential because the transfer case is more upfront to where the noise is. you cant hear it with front windows down. Only the rear sliding window or rear passenger's windows.

thanks

Does the whine increase in pitch with speed? Does it go away when turning left of right? Front hub bearing is a very common cause of a whine or hum as some describe it.

Once your rule out wheel bearings, it's probably the rear axle. Ford had an issue with those and actually came out with kit that fixes the noise. Don't know the kit number though. If you search you'll find it.

Mine whines and can be annoying but not a big problem. I'll get the kit at some point.

Do check your rear main seal for leaks though. You wouldn't want it to complicate matters and when the rear main seal starts leaking you really don't know it unless you notice the fluid on your parking spot.

If the whining is still there after you hit 3rd gear, the see if moving the wheel back and forth affect the pitch of whine. Does it whine when you're on the gas and disappear when you let off? If so the differential is howling

Yes, check the rear diff fluid. Park on a flat surface. There is a fill plug on the front side of it. It takes a 3/8 ratchet. The plug is magnetic-check for excessive metal filings/chunks on it. (some fine filings are normal) Stick your pinky in the fill hole- it should be filled at minimum 1/8 inch below the hole.(a bent q-tip works well for this also) I personally have it filled until it starts running out of the hole. Check for leaks at pinion seal, differential housing, and axles.

...While your under there, you may as well check the axle vent tube. pop the hose off, blow through it to be sure its clear. Also, unscrew the "nipple" the hose is attached to, shine a flashlight through it to be sure the nipple is clear as well.

Keep us posted. Keep in mind there can be many other causes. Wheel bearings, drive shaft issues, etc... ALSO BAD TIRES!

Last edited by a moderator:
How many fluid services on transmission/transfer case/differentials since this Trac was purchased? If none or one, then there's prolly premature wear of one or more of those components and you're looking at a big bill for replacement. You may be able to stave off a big repair by changing fluids in everything now. Tell 'em to pop in a new fuel filter while they're at it.

If it is your rear pinon bearing associated with the design flaw and TSB the noise will never go away, but failure will also not be a worry. Mine has been whining for probably 75000 miles, towing, crawling, mudding, none the matter. Whine is always there. Went to heaviest differential fluid I could to reduce noise years ago, helped some.

@Robert - Cleveland born and bred, OHI-until I die!

Latest posts