Which transmission/pan?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacy Waldrep

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Sport Trac 4x4 with automatic tranny. When I look for a transmission filter and gasket, it always wants to know if I have a 4 speed or 5 speed and what type of pan I have (deep or shallow). I don't know the answers to those questions. How can I figure out which filter and gasket set to get?

You have the 5spd 5R55E trans. With the 4x4 you have a deeper pan. Make sure they give you the filter with the extended snout.The gasket will come with the filter kit.

Cross reference Motorcraft FT-134 if needed. Purolator does not make an equivalent.

Very smart preventative maintenance, project linked below.

Important to use Mercon V or equivalent. (No universal type fluid)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks....do you have a write up showing the EPC pressure valve adjustment that you mentioned? Does that fit on my 2004? Also, is there an easy way to get more of the fluid out than just what's in the pan? I don't really want to get a flush but would like to get more fluid out than what's in the pan. On an F150 that I had there was an access panel to get to the torque converter and you could drain it by removing the drain plug in the torque converter. This got most of the old fluid out. Is there anything like that on the Sport Trac?

While you're doing this, it would be a good time to install a drain plug on the tranny pan. See the project linked below.

Also, is there an easy way to get more of the fluid out than just what's in the pan?

This is where the aforementioned drain plug comes in handy. Other than a full-blown flush, the only way that I can think of would be to do your initial project of dropping the pan, draining the fluid, changing the filter, and installing the drain plug. Then, after about three months, drain the pan using the drain plug and replace the fluid. Do this again in a few more months, and you'll eventually have drained all of the original fluid out of the tranny and have replaced it with newer fluid.

So, how much is everybody paying for Mercon V fluid and what brand do you get? I haven't run to Walmart yet to check the price here but online I'm seeing some really expensive prices. Is the SuperTech Mercon V any good or is it better to stick to a name brand? I may have to wait a couple of weeks to get paid to afford it...lol.

Average price at Autozone or one of the other chain stores is $5.99/quart for Valvoline or Castrol Mercon V. To drop the pan and change the filter, you shouldn't need more than about 5-6 quarts.