Which sub is best

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ Tatum

Reaction score
I have a Dual XD7600 h/u and infinity reference speakers and polk db 570's in the back. I want a little bit more bass, but not much. I think I would liek to get an 8" sub. Is this too small to make a difference? The subs ive looked at so far are the Sony XS-L82P5, MTX Thunder, Rockford Fosgate punch stage 1 or 2, and the Kicker Comp VR 05CVR84. Do any of you have any of these, or does any one know anything about these brands that would help me make a better decision. Thanks.

-Tater

Stay away from audiobahn crap! Mtx and Kicker are just ok, and Sony is garbage. Go with the rockford stage 2 punch. Theyre the best of the ones you mentioned.

I run a jl 8w3 with a jl 250/1. I have a ported box because I like the sound compared to a sealed enclosure. I am quite pleased with the output the 8 makes, it fills the cab nicely and it is not overbearing.

Jason

i have a kicker comp 10 inch DVC......sounds great does the job. I like kicker equiptment, it is midlevel stuff and has never let me down.......

I never said JL was crap, but audiobahn definetly is. To each their own, but my experiences and many others has been terrible with audiobahn.

Of all the subs ive had kicker were the best. (Comp VR 12's). Right now i have the 12" pioneer flatsub, which i love powered by an audiobahn amp. If you really want the good stuff, go with image dynamics hehe.

What do you want? Loudness or clearness? JL subs are among the best store-bought for loudness. Image Dynamics is supposed to be great for SQ. I've got a Polk 12" and everyone who hears it is amazed at how clean it is, and how loud it'll get.

I just bought a Kicker 12 L5 i'll be getting on friday i can't wait but before that i had a 10" Kicker CVR and it had nice bass for the sport trac in the cwells box but i've seen 8" kicker CVR go for CHEAP on ebay.com new in the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put it this way... You get what you pay for, the less money you spend the crappier sub you're getting. With my personal experience (not that vast, just with JL's, Kicker and MTX) I would say if you can afford it get JL Audio's.

I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 8" sub in a C. Wells enclosure. I have Polk's in the doors. I like the sound... not too much bass, but the sub does do it's job!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
JL or Kicker... Rockfords don't last and sound bad. Sony is cheap but I think is the best bang for the buck.

IN THE END.. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE AMP YOU USE TO POWER THE SUB AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THE BOX.... A PROPERLY DESIGNED BOX FOR THE SPECIFIC SUB IS CRUCIAL.. YOU CAN STICK THE MOST EXPENSIVE SUB IN A CRAPPY BOX AND IT WILL SOUND BAD, BUT PUT A CRAPPY SUB IN A GOOD BOX AND YOU HAVE MAGIC!:cool: