Which shocks?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Spann

Reaction score
Looking to replace my shocks and I was wondering which to use. I drive about 100 a day so I want some that give as close to a "luxury car" ride as I can get. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, Job 1 2001 Trac.

Last edited by a moderator:
sensa trac for luxury, but if you are going to tow anything relfex

I have SensaTracs, they ride okay and firmer than stock. Me and a lot of other people here tried Pro Comps but they have a tendency to arrive with missing parts, plus one of mine was defective out of the box. I gave up, drove to Sears on 3 shocks, and got the SensaTracs put on there.

Here is reality...you can not get a luxury car ride fron the Trac no matter which shocks you use. The ride you want would require an entirely different suspension geometry in front and different spring rates all-around. The Trac has stiff springs based on it's 1,600 lb design payload. There is no shock that can change that. All shocks are supposed to do is dampen spring oscillation. If you want as close as possible to a luxury car ride, carry about 1,000 lbs in the bed and go with RSX shocks.

...I want some that give as close to a "luxury car" ride as I can get.

Isn't that why Ford decided to install super soft shocks on our Tracs to begin with? On the other hand, they were so soft that they caused the Trac to lean and roll too much under certain conditions. This is why I chose to upgrade with Monroe Reflexes. They stiffened up the ride considerably but handling has improved dramatically. I'd rather be able to go around a corner without excessive lean than have a super smooth ride on just straightaways.

"Luxury car ride"???:huh:

It's a truck. And one which is riding on a truck-based chassis (Ranger/Explorer) whose overall design is over 10 years old. You're just not going to get a ride comparable to a "luxury car".

Monoroe Reflex or Rancho RSX. They're the same shock. Both made by the same parent company, Tenneco, and sold under different brand names.

Thanks to everyone who had a constructive input. I went with the Sensatrac shocks and I like them.

And guys, I understand that this "truck" is not going to ride like a Caddy, but I was trying to get a general feel across. Remember I said as close to that ride as possible. Something that wasn't so harsh and rough. That has been accomplished.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking with a service center today about replacing my shocks. I am about to begin towing about 4,000 lbs. worth of boat/trailer and he suggested the Reflex option. He indicated that the Trac could take the Reflexes on the back only and that I would need to put the Sensatracs on the front. Is this accurate? Is there a reason I would need anything different?

Gary, I put Monroe Sensatracs on my trac last Friday and proceeded to dive 1200 miles on Sunday night. The difference in ride was amazing!