Which Laptop?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H D

Reaction score
I have noticed there are some pretty computer savvy folks on here. I lost interest in keeping up with technology in high school so I'm asking for a little advice. We are looking to purchase a new laptop.

We have two MacBook Pros and one recently got the white screen and the other is on it's last legs. We're kind of in a pinch because we can't get this one to backup to the time capsule and there are things we definitely don't want to lose...primarily AutoCad, a $6k program. The white screen one was the one we primarily used for CAD and Photoshop because we made Windows XP as the primary OS. Luckily, we can still access CAD on this Mac through Parallels but that really bogs this computer down now and we can forget running Photoshop simultaneously which makes the interior design process much more difficult for my wife on the house we're designing (there, I just got down to the root issue didn't I?).

So, we don't want to lose AutoCad 2008 and we don't want to spend $6k on a newer version of CAD. Rather, I will not spend $6k on it. The problem is, AutoCad 2008 will not operate on any of the systems newer than XP. I have found very few computers still available with XP that aren't running AMD or Pentium processors. All we want is Windows XP and a decent processor. We won't use it for much other than those two programs, a browser and Office. Though, If I'm much over $1k, I'm going to another Mac and running XP through Parallels again. Should I just pony up for the Mac?

My brother in law may be able to build exactly what we need but I'm not sure he has the time to do that. That would be our ideal situation but we need one soon and may need to buy off the shelf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nevermind. We're just going to go with a new MacBook Pro. The price argument is certainly no longer in the PC favor (I obviously haven't shopped laptops in a while). I'm not going to pay the same price for a Windows XP computer as a brand new Mac nor will I pay the same or more for one with Windows 8 and then still have to add XP. I hate to say it, but I think I'm finally a full Mac convert. We'll just run Parallels again and load XP.

The one I think we'll get.

MacBook Pro

Intel Core i5

8GB RAM

1TB Drive

$1,179

Seems like a lot of $ on a computer primarily intended to run a program that predates the pres, but since you're all setup with the Apple ecosystem it makes sense to me; why bother running an instance of XP on a Win 7/8 laptop when you already have it down on the mac. I don't doubt it, but I am sorta surprised to hear about a macbook pro biting the dust. More astonishing is that your license of AutoCAD costs more than the top-tier MacBook Pro Retina.

My wife (an autocad user as well) bought a home-design software that works on inside and outside projects. As you're working on the design, you can view it in 3D from any angle. It recognizes certain aspects of home design, which makes it easier to use than autocad (i.e., it'll automatically add trim throughout a room, it'll line up top and bottom cabinet lengths, gives material estimates, etc.) It's called Home Designer Pro by Chief Architect Software. She swears she got it for a couple hundred, although the new version costs $500 online right now.:argue:

It's definitely been worth it since we've gutted and redesigned a 40 year old house over the past year and a half.

The two MacBooks are first generation but have had a few RAM and memory upgrades; they're just old. For a new computer, I just think running OS X and an emulator with XP is preferable to a similarly priced Windows 8 machine and quite honestly, I'm not very interested in playing around with and learning a new version of Windows. We have two other laptops with XP but neither is powerful enough and an XP desktop that may not even be plugged in.

Thanks wolfpacker,

I'll pass that on to Katie. She'll probably be interested in trying it as an alternative to building it all into Photoshop but I know she won't be willing to get rid of AutoCAD.

Hugh,

The simple facts of life are that Laptops cost more and have less hardward upgradeability (if that's a word?) options available to you. Also, Laptops are more expensive than desktops

With a laptop, you can only upgrade the memory and add a larger hard drive, but If you insist on sticking with Laptops, you will be facing this same problem again within a year or two.

With a generic desktop PC's you have the ability to add memory, add storage, add a bigger power supply upgrade the CPU and/or Motherboard and all at a cheaper price.

I agree that you probably don't want to spend another $6k for new AutoCad software, but most companies offer upgrades to the newest version at far less costs than the cost of whole new package.

Also, consider that the newer software often works much better and takes advantage of the newer multi-processor, 64 bit processors. Sometimes people have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. :grin:

I know that I had to bite the bullet many times and just buy new software because the old software was not compatible with then new operating system. I have even had some old hardware that I loved that would not work anymore after a OS change and updated drivers were not longer available.

...Rich

All great considerations Richard.

We have a desktop that is more than capable but we very rarely turn it on. It's even in the same room we typically use the laptops; we just don't find ourselves using the desktop. Katie also needs to be able to take CAD and Photoshop with her to meetings with design clients. I know a desktop is ideal for programs like CAD but today's laptops are adequate and the extra expense is worth the versatility for us.

A software upgrade and a new computer to put it on would be the ideal situation but even with the upgrade discount, the new AutoCAD is $2,900 (down from $4,200). If the older version of AutoCAD is limiting her capabilities, I can't tell and she doesn't know any better. :grin:

Oh, and forgot to mention that she does have a stripped down version of AutoCAD on her iPad so the laptop isn't quite as necessary for that purpose but she can't do color changes and such in Photoshop without a laptop.

Hugh,

A happy wife is a happy life ! :grin:

I know laptops are very capable, but I just don't think that CAD programs are that user friendly in a portable environment.

I previously worked for a construction company that built roads and bridges and we had AutoCad installed on dozens of PC's. The only people who had AutoCad installed on their laptops were some of the Managers and Supervisors who needed to be able to quickly check the designs while in the field....they never used the laptop AutoCad to design anything until they got back into the office.

I'm curious as to how much AutoCad designing and photoshop work your wife does on the laptop when she is at a clients home? There are numerous cheap interior design software programs that can work well in the field for preliminary work and then do the final design in AutoCad when you get home? Just a thought?

...Rich

She doesn't typically do any at client's homes and can actually use the iPad for some things. She really isn't doing design work right now but the main and pressing issue is that we have designed our house on this computer and need access to the file.

She doesn't need the computing power engineers may need as the 3d modeling she does is basic.

Hugh, Dassault systems, which markets SolidWorks, has a free 2d cad program called Draft Sight.

It has the look, feel, and functionality of AutoCad. It'll open the newest AutoCad files and you can save them back down to earlier versions. It's almost a direct ripoff of AutoCad. I have replaced my AutoCad at work and use this instead.

Here's the link:

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/download-draftsight/

Worst case scenario if your Mac crashes and AutoCad is lost, your wife can use this program instead. She will not be disappointed.

Rich