Which Brake Pads?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H D

Reaction score
I'm getting new brake pads. Going with heavy duty pads. Which would you choose. For consideration, I'm running 35s.

I'm deciding between:

WAGNER Part # SX833 SevereDuty; $27.79

and

RAYBESTOS Part # ATD833C Advanced Technology, Ceramic; $52.89

I believe either would be great. If the Raybestos are exceptional, I'll pay the double price tag. Anybody got experience with either?

I found a deal on the wagner thermal quiets and they are OK, not sure how they compare to the SevereDuty.

I have performace friction on my rears and on my other car. I like the performance friction pads the best. They have pretty good stopping power and are around the same price as the RAYBESTOS. I like the PF pabs because they use up the entire surface area of the rotors on the rear of my trac, my OEM pads only used 3/4 of the available area. PF states there pads are specifically engineered for each application.

Ditto, on the perforance friction pads.

I have them on 18" wheel and oem diameter tires.

With you having over sized wheels and tires. I think you will appreciate the extra clamping and no fade when they are hot.

I have been using the Wagner Ceramics on all my vehicles for several years now and have never had an issue (the Thermoquiets, I think the part numbers have QC in them) Raybestos is usually pretty good stuff too. As long as you go with a branded (Not Duralast or Wearever, or any other cheap "store brand") you should be fine.

I found good deals on the pads/rotors at Amazon and Rockauto. figure out what number you need from Rockauto and search that number on Amazon to compare prices. Don't forget to search for a rockauto discount code too.

Asking about brake pads is like same question on spark plugs, oil, filters. Everyone's got their faves. I had favorable experience with Hawk ceramic pads on my 07; very nice feel, no noise. Bought them through Amazon.

I don't know which is best, but I can tell you that the Wagner SX833 that you propose buying for $27 is available right now at RockAuto for $16 due to a wholesaler closeout. Only one remaining, so hurry!

I'm using a ceramic version QC833 of the Wagner product, and I found no problems with the install. The braking effectiveness seems to be the same as the much more expensive Akebono ceramic that I had previously used.

The braking effectiveness seems to be the same as the much more expensive Akebono ceramic that I had previously used.

That would depend on your driving habits. And how much unsprung rotating weight on your axles.

Been through too many cheaper $$ brakes in my life to know I wont spend bottom $$. You do get what you pay for.

available right now at RockAuto for $16 due to a wholesaler closeout

I love those wholesaler closeouts on Rockauto. I got new front fender liners for my 1990 T-bird SC I have been doing a resto on for years for 3 bucks each, 10 bucks shipping. For 26 bucks total shipped I got two that I was going to go to the junkyard and try to find decent ones..

Latest posts