Where Were You On 9-11

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
I was working on a baggage system for American Airlines in Miami. I was in my hotel room working on my puter while watching CNN with the sound turned down. I noticed they were showing smoke coming from one of the towers and I thought it was a demo of what a high rise fire would look like. I turned up the sound just as the second plane hit the other tower.

MIA shut down the airport and it was total chaos in the terminal. We were kept from entering the bagroom for three days.

Anyway, below is a video of that horrible day. The music by Enya is fitting for the video. You can purchase the CD for just 10 bucks. Might be something worth having if you have small kids and someday want to share with them the day America changed forever. The video is over 7 megs, so if your using dial-up, it will take longer to load and play.

I was in Boot-Camp for the Navy. It was my one-week mark, "P7 day". Anyway, had just gotten the shot of penicillin in my butt and next up was getting issued glasses. The guy behind the desk was talking about the Pentagon, not the WTC, getting hit and I thought he was just messing around so I told him that wasn't cool, as my sister worked at the Pentagon.

He was like, "oh shit, a plane hit that and both WTC buildings.". So, I found the highest-ranking guy in the room and asked for a phone call. Like any newb, he was a dick and said basically, "F-U pal and get back over there." I put him into the wall and said, "My sister is at the Pentagon and I NEED A F-ING PHONE CALL!"

I was grabbed by someone else and taken into an office to get yelled at. Instead, he said for me to say I got my ass chewed, but let me use his phone. I called home and my parents said she was ok and was outta there.

Afterwards, they wanted proof that my sister worked there, so I gave them her direct line. It was badass, but I got "beat" later for putting the guy into the wall. It was worth it, though.

I was in Ludwigshafen Am Rhein, DE when it happened. We were traveling back to our hotel in Mannheim, DE when we noticed all the Polizei around the US military bases and all the soldiers dressed in full battle gear.

It wasn't until we got to the hotel that we found out what happened.

From what I seen in Germany, they did more in remberance than we did here.

All flags were flown at half staff for months. Once a week, all businesses shut down for 15 minutes in silence for the rememberance of everyone that perrished in that attack.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
i was in history class, in the seventh grade. but the teachers wouldnt tell us what happened so the thing we were most worried about was whether or not we were gonna get the rest of the day off school

At our family owned business.

6 days later I applied for and was hired in the present position I hold. I walked away from our shop and fly 5 days a week.

I now watch for these type of events...

On 9-10 I was in Lynchburg TN. Drove up to New Haven CT..

Drove by the Towers on 9-11 about 0100 hrs to get home about 0230.

Got woke up by multiple phone calls.. Finally picked up the phone, aggravated as hell. It was MOM. " One of the Towers have been hit in NY" Turned on the TV just in time to watch the 2nd tower get hit.

Spent the next 9 months working 12 hours shifts 1800 hrs to 0600 hrs 4 days on 2 days off, for Operation Noble Eagle. (103 ACS was watching the skies over all the major airports and cities 250 miles from the base)

Have you noticed that on a 20 dollar bill, you can see what looks like the Twin Towers burning and also the Pentagon burning?

Take a 20 dollar bill and lay it flat with Jackson's face up. Rotate the bill so the bill is upsidedown. Now fold it in half top to bottom. Fold each top corner down as though you were making a paper airplane. Rotate the bill again with the pointed end facing down.

On the left, you see the word America (American Airlines) on the right you see the word United (United Airlines) In the center it kinda looks like the Towers burning at the levels they were hit.

Just kinda bizaar that these were the two airlines that struck the towers. If you fold the bill the other way, it looks like a section of the Pentagon on fire.

Have no idea who spent the time figuring this out on a 20 dollar bill. :wacko:

I had just walked into the cafe room of our office to grab coffee as I got into work that beautiful Tuesday morning. It was around 8:45am and the Today show as on in the cafe showing a shot of a scar across one of the towers and smoke pouring out. I assumed a small plane had hit it, and it was no "big" deal.

A few minutes later someone came in and said "A second plane has it the other tower" and I say: "WTF! We are UNDER ATTACK!".

Then I said: "Osama Bin Laden", because I was working in NYC during the '96 bombing, just a few blocks from WTC.

A few minutes later we heard about the Pentagon, and I started to get really, really pi$$ed.

TJR

I was in my instrument shop at work. We had no access to a tv. We listened on a radio. Needless to say we were not happy campers. Next day one of our guys brought on a 5" color tv. Not much work was done for a few days.

I was at FT Campbell KY getting ready to go out on a truck mission. My friend Ronnie came into my platoon office were several of my squad mates and I were waiting for us to leave. Ronnie comes through the door and was yelling about a plane hitting the WTC. Knowing Ronnie for as long as I had, I thought he was BSing me like usual. He shoved this little portable tv into my face and I saw the second plane hit the towers. At that moment, I told everyone that our mission is on hold. As soon as the words came out of my mouth, the Platoon Sergeant called our office phone and told me that our mission was cancelled and anyone that lives on post is to go get our A&B bags with rucksacks (we always had our bags packed for deployments being at Campbell). Since I did live on post I ran home, ran through the door. As I was running up the stairs, my wife was asking me what was going on. I remember yelling back as I was throwing my bags out the door from top of the stairs, "Turn on the tv. We are under attack. Love you. Bye." I gave her a kiss and I didn't see her again for a week. They locked every gate on Campbell as soon as all soldiers were accounted for. We even had our Apaches flying patrol around the base 24 hrs a day.

I was working on gaining my certifications on ATC transmitters in the final block of my Air Force tech school. I graduated the next day. I found out about the WTC in the bathroom.

I was working for Home Paramount Pest control at the time. I was outside of a customers house, checking for termites. While doing so, the customer came out and offered me a drink of OJ and said to look at the TV. I just kind of sat there, watching it unfold. Was pretty bad. I think, if I can remember. The time was about 920am. That I saw this on TV. Was pretty amazing. I didn't know how to work the rest of the day.

On a Navy Ship conducting a training exercise off the coast of FL. We dumped off the inspectors and headed north to sit off the coast of VA, monitoring air traffic in the vicinity of DC. It was eerie to say the least, normally there are tons of air contacts, in the immediate days following, there was hardly none but military air.

I was doing a diving job in manhattan, on the east side about a mile away. We ended up on the roof with another contractor and saw the smoke and the towers falling. Scary stuff.

Thanks for all the replies....

That day I logged into one of those sites that tracks commercial airlines and was amazing seeing all the dots disappear just after all planes were ordered to land someplace.

I stayed at the Hotel MIA which is at the airport across from the American terminal. The hotel sold out within hours. We were working nights that trip, so I didn't find out I couldn't get down into the bagroom till later that evening. There were hundreds of people stranded and were forced to sleep on the floors throughout the terminal. The next day when the airports were still closed, even more people showed up expecting to catch a flight and were also stranded. I'm sure it was like this at just about every international airport throughout the country. All the car rental places were sold out as well....if you wanted a cab, those were hard to find as well.

I have the CD that I meantioned above...it's well worth the investment and for the memory. Beyond the two slide video's, there are folders with lots of high graphic photos as well.

Again, thanks for sharing where you were that day...

Martin

Now just imagine we had just previously elected a president that was indecisive, political, and was concerned what other nations would say about what he did or did not do about the event.

Of course, if you were around during the Carter years you would think I'm speaking of him....

I was at work at the fire station that morning. My firefighters were outside cleaning and checking the equipment as we usually do in the morning. It was a slow day so far. We made one MVA earlier. I was inside doing paperwork and my wife called and told me a plane hit the world trade center and to turn on the tv. I switched it on called in the rest of the crew to watch. We were all speculating how on earth a plane could hit a high rise building when the second plane hit. We knew then something wasn't right. We also knew, even without the towers collapsing, that a lot of our fellow firefighters would probably get hurt that day just because of how unsafe the towers construction was. Then they collapsed. No one spoke a word for the rest of the day.

Latest posts