Where were you 50 years ago today when you heard the news?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in forth grade and there were kids talking that the President was shot. We were young and it didn't sink in until I got home. My Mom was crying and I was wondering why because it was her birthday. She told me that President Kennedy was killed and then I knew.

I was a 1st class Radioman, on watch at ComOceanSysPac (Treasure Island) when I heard the news. I was 28 and had been in the Navy 11 years. Great man,

great president.:sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was three years old. It was my parents' wedding anniversary and dad was at work. I wondered why mom was crying all day. I thought I'd done something wrong. Dad and mom cancelled their planned night out.

Third grade teacher gets called to the door and returns crying. 50 years later and we'll never know why. :cry:

I was in the 6th grade. They anounced it over the PA system. Cancelled school rest of the day.

I was in the Army at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. I was in and advanced Training Class and we had just marched back to the classroom from lunch when they announced that the President had been shot. About 30 minutes later they announced that he died.

Normally were were allowed to leave on Pass for the weekend, but we could not leave until after we had a special formation on Saturday morning. At that formation we were given the official announcement that JFK was dead and LBJ was President. We were then allowed to leave on passes for the weekend. I went to Columbia, MO (College town) and came back by midnight that Sunday night. When I got back I was informed that Monday was an official day of Mourning, and we were allowed to sign back out on pass. So my friend and I headed off back to Columbia, MO.

A few days later I left Ft Leonard Wood, MO en route to Okinawa for the next 18 months.

...Rich

JFK would be 100 years old in 2017.

My wife & I were on the escalator in Sears & Roebuck when we herd the news In OKC. Watched TV for 3 straight days non stop.

Jim

I lived in Milwaukee WI in grade school and they let us out of school that awfull day. that was the only thing on that dat on on our black and with tv and I was 8 years old

Latest posts