Where should I mount my stock HU to give way for LCD screen?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dindo Perlas

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks already. Now after countless times of looking at all the nooks in the trac, at all angles, and several sleepless nights (yeah, it's 3am in my place), I really have to get the answer from you guys.

I'm installing my carputer's touch screen where the stock HU is mounted. I already have a good mount and it gives me a good viewing angle. I really like it mounted there. Having said that, I need to move my stock HU somewhere. I'm still using it mainly for the AM/FM tuner and for switching the audio source to/from my carputer using the USA SPEC DF-FORD1 Adapter so I need to have easy access to it. But if there's no choice, I'm willing to have it mounted anywhere even beyond my reach. Maybe I will just have to control it from the rear seat controls.

Any suggestions on where to move/mount my HU?

Also, will extending the radio connectors and the antenna pose a problem?

TIA.

Why not get a tuner fro your carputer and do it that way? I know they make AM/FM tuners for home computers, so I would imagine that there is one for the carputer as well. Would simplify your install and you would no longer need the Ford unit. I am no expert on carputers, so I am probably wrong... I'm sure someone will correct me.

what year trac? small or short console?

If you have the small console with bag, remove bag and mount it there. If yo uhave the full console under the arm rest in the compartment?

Or if you have the small console where the coin tray is under the ashtray area??

just my $.02

Another option to think about:

Sounds like you might want to look into something similar to what Ryan Eylander did when he put in his carputer touchscreen in the stock headunit location.

[Broken External Image]:

He installed an aftermarket headunit in the glove box but placed the faceplate in the a-pillar and soldered wires to connect the two. I believe he had to cut out the back of the glove box. If you want to stay with the stock HU then it looks like your probably going to have to figure it will be inaccessible.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

For a month now I've been dwelling on the idea of installing an AM/FM tuner in the carputer. The only one I've seen and probably the most popular is Griffin Technologies' Radio Shark AM/FM tuner. Unfortunately, about 90% of all the reviews I have read says that it has a crappy reception especially on the AM band and that their cheap-o AM/FM alarm clock sounded better. I am an AM listener so I wouldn't want that. They had a software upgrade to fix this problem. But nobody said that the reception got better. Then the rest of the products I've seen are either FM only or TV/FM. So there's none for me and I opted to use the stock HU instead.

I have the 2001 with the long console.

Really I admire Ryan's work but I don't have the knack in doing it and I know that having it done by a pro will cost me a bundle.

It seems that this is really tough but I'll give myself until the end of this week to decide. If you guys have more inputs, I would really appreciate hearing them.

Thanks guys!

The last place would be the pillar. I am sure he or she is paying attention to the road while tilting their head and looking left to change stations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Doc Jeff! I saw your work and I think it's kewl. However, things are really different when using the stock HU. How I wish I could just opt for an aftermarket HU. But I couldn't because that way I'll go beyond the budget approved by the congress. =)

Hey Dindo, tell congress to skip the next trip here so you can have the ST budgeted for your planned mods and a killer HU. Cebu or HK should be a cheaper trip from Pasig. Good luck on your HU mod. Did you consider or try if the HU will fit in the front end of the console, on the floor right under the A/C controls? Haven't taken a look under there yet.

I assume congress = wife

Isn't it funny that a lot of Filipinos call their wives mahal, cause thats what they can be :)

Perhaps a cheap HU is really all you need. If all you really need it for is to listen to AM radio, I wouldn't break the bank, just something good enough to pick up clear AM. Then just put it in the glovebox or see if you can slide it in between the console and the seat, on the short console there is some room there, not so sure if there is on the full.

Sir Regal One! I actually have the long console so I don't have much space under the AC controls. Anyway, now I'm thinking of putting the HU inside the center console compartment. Needs more thinking though. And yeah, the congress is bringing me to HK Disneyland next month!!! :D Congrats on your forthcoming retirement! I hope you visit the Philippines one of these days.

Hey Tabjo! The assumption is correct (in almost every Filipino household!). I'm actually buying a small cheapo AM radio and plug it to the line-in of my sound card. I listen to only 1 AM station anyway so it's perfectly OK if it's beyond reach. I sometimes switch to another station but I really can get rid of it or I'll just have to find a way. BTW, Filipinos are kinda sweet :wub: and romantic by nature (and sometimes by force!). Yes, a Filipino calls her wife/lover "mahal". For all you guys, it means "love", "precious", and most of the time it also means "expensive"!!! :lol:

Latest posts