Where is the GEM Module on an ’04 ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arthur Akard

Reaction score
I’m installing a Ford OEM cruise control kit in my ’04 ST. The instructions show to remove the radio and then I can access the GEM module where I have to splice the Gray/Black wire with the one on the GEM. Gee, no GEM module located there when I pulled the radio. Where is the darn thing? (horrible instructions from Ford by the way). Thanks - Art

In my '01 it was on the left side of the radio opening when you remove the factory radio. The GEM module looks pretty much like a wire harness plug. Nothing too fancy. Teh grey/black wire is the VSS, and is the same one I used for my navigation.

I would assume it is the same in your '04. Make sure you get a good connection. The way I did it was cut the grey/black wire, then strip back the ends, and solder the three wires together. I had tried using splice connectors, but it would cause the speedometer to read 0, and intermittent readings to the nav...

Unfortunately there is nothing but metal on the left side of the radio. All of the wiring in that area goes to either the Fan control switch or the A/C switch. No plug like device and no gray/black wire. There is a set of relays back behind and to the lower left of the radio opening but I didn't see any grey/black wire. :(

I installed Cruise control on my 2004. When I checked with the dealers (more than one) I found that Ford did not offer a factory kit for the 2004. I thought about after market kits, but decided to use OEM parts. Except for the clockspring I purchased all the parts from a recyler. I suggest you purchase the clockspring from the dealer. If you use all factory componets no splicing is required. All the necessary wiring is already there. But to answer your question the connector you are looking for is to the left of the radio under the steering column. It is mounted on the right side of the steering column mounting bracket. The plastic trim under the coulmn along with the sheet metal support underneath will have to be removed for access.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info folks. Hornet, I do have a question - Did you also have to buy a new throttle cable from the servo to the throttle body? I'll be darn if I can figure out how the one that came with the kit it is supposed to go on.

Sorry for the slow response. I bought the servo on line (eBay) it came with the correct cable. I checked the local used auto part dealers but no one had the servo with the correct cable. By the way this cable can be purchased from the dealer. The servos are the same for many of the ford products so a new cable should get you going.