Where do you store your bed extender?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I usually leave the extended mounted, when I occasionally remove it when I need the bed, I just stash it wherever it will fit for the moment in the garage.

I unhinge mine and swing it against the back of the bed. It tucks rather snugly against the back and side bed walls and does not take up much space at all. I always seemed to need it and it was in the garage. Now it is always with me.

In the garage, under the window. Pile a few tarps on it, and the cat likes to sleep on it.

I haven't used it in years.

I leave it in the garage the majority of the time. There were times I wish I had it with me but the times that it was in the way were more frequent.

In the barn and rarely used. Good to have when needed, though.

I removed my bed extender from my new 2003 Sport Trac as soon as I got home from the dealer. I just stuck it in the corner of the garage, but later hung it up in my Water Heater closet in the garage and never touched it again. I forgot it was in there when I sold my house back in 2010 so the new owner has it...oddly enough I see a Sport Trac parked in front of the old house whenever I drive by.

...Rich

I guess if any of our [3] Sport Tracs had come w/one that we'd store them in the most obvious place, in the bed. Like we've left the tonneau covers on each of the Sport Tracs and never have removed to just store. In fact the cover has rarely been off the '01 or '05 and never off the '10 STA, but then we have a 6x10 utility trailer too. I often wished I had a bed extender more so for the purpose of a bed divider. Just my 2 cents worth.

Les - The Gen II bed has indentations to use a 2X4 board as a divider. It's open at the top, so you could use a 2x10 or wider too. Put some truck bed paint on it, and it can look pretty sharp and be very useful.

Edit - BTW, I keep my extender in the bed. My biggest headache with it is loading large objects. I wish it had a mechanism to hold it in an upright position so you could load with it up out of the way. I can balance it, but the first time something bumps too hard, it falls over. I use bungee cords to hold it up right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackson(ncstatewolfpacker), back in 2006, a member came up with a bracket to hold the extender vertical. He manufactured a bunch of sets of them and sold them to members. They sold out very quickly.

I bought a set and they have worked great for years.. The link should take you to the old post for the brackets. Unfortunately the pics are no longer linked to the post. If I get a chance later today, I will take a pic of mine, installed in my Trac, so you can see what they looked like.

The post is actually a followup post about the parts and lists a manufacturing company address that you could try contacting to see it they could build any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts