When to change fluids?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Baltagi

Reaction score
I'm planning on changing the power streering and brae fluid today. Any advice that would be help. Do i just drain the old and pour the new?... One last thing. where is the d5rain screws for the brake fluid and the power steering fluid?

Thanks

Sean

If your asking about the brake fluid drain screws then I don't think changing the brake fluid yourself is the best idea. It requires draining at the calipers and bleeding each caliper in a specific manner that requires some experience to be performed safely. You don't want to find out you did something wrong on a busy street with no brake pressure.

How many miles are on your vehicle? I don't think that changing the power steering fluid is necessary if your vehicle is only a couple years old. I've heard every two years for the brake fluid, but I go further myself.

Install some Speed Bleeders at your caliper. Then suck out the brake fluid out of the master Cylinder and refill. Then crack open a bleeder screw and connect a hose to the screw and put it into a jar. pump your brakes until the fluid runs clear. Keep an eye on the master cylinder. Do it for each wheel. New fluid.

As for the Power steering, suck it dry and refill. Start engine and turn wheel lock to lock. You could even drive it around some turns. repeat. once the fluid looks like new fluid, you are done.

If you don't know what you are doing, find someone the does and have them help and teach you.

Tom

Latest posts