When did Netgear start sucking?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NetGear here going strong for at least 6 years. I also had problems with dropped connections in the beginning but I changed the channel and never a problem again.

My Dell laptop also has a blue LED on the power supply. I'm like Dingo. I love blue, but this thing is powerful as a laser and in my bedroom. I just stuck it under the desk, but I still have a glow coming from under it. Now I just consider it my night light.

My linksys wireless switch was purchased back in 2002 when I was stationed in South Korea, before my move to Oklahoma and now Poland. It has traveled halfway around the world, and now is running from a transformer to step down the power from 240 V, but it is still speeding along. My Dell desktop is even older and now it is the server for my house.

The other night I walked in my daughter's room and she had her old and new laptops running online, and I had my iPod Touch streaming audio, plus my desktop and laptop running. I had been doing some online training for my upcoming trip, which includes some video streams. Four wi-fi and one hardwired connection. These old warhorses didn't miss a beat. :wub:

I believe you always should buy the best quality you can afford. Buying cheap, probably will cause you to replace the item frequently, and in the long run, you spend more money.

We have a netgear wireless access point in our office. The access point lets us turn off the wireless without turning off the router. We use for the few times when we have groups of accountants in our office for going through the books. It has the circle of flashing LEDs, and they let you know when something is locked in. They have a switch to turn them off, though.

We also have different things like usb hubs and network hubs throughout the office that have LEDs on them. Turn off the lights and walk through the office and it's "Tokyo by night" with all the flashing LEDs!:lol:

How far back do you want to go? Anybody remember the modem with the rubber cups, that you set your telephone handset into after calling the access number on the phone?

Anybody remember the teletype? Punch cards? Paper tape? The text only game of Star Trek on the mainframe?

I remember playing that Star Trek game on the University of Illinois' "PLATO" mainframe while in college. Thought it was the bomb at the time!:D

When I first enlisted in the Navy in '86 we were still using TTY, punch cards, and paper tapes in the radio shack of my first ship (USS Dixon [AS-37]), and we thought that was state of the art. Punching out a message on tape was a major bitch! The radio shack was one loud, busy place underway with all the TTY's clacking, tape punches running, and voice circuits blaring. Dixon was decommissioned and put into mothballs in '94. I went back aboard her '99 and went up to the radio shack. It was spooky, because it was totally gutted of all the gear, but the minute I walked through the hatch and entered the space, I was overwhelmed with the memory of those sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a mainframe in our school district when I was in Junior High School in 1972. We had a teletype, a rubber-cup modem to connect to the mainframe, and a paper tape reader/puncher to store our programs on. It was the most amazing thing ever. Then when we found Start Trek in the list of programs on the system, we didn't get much work done anymore!

Sad to say they weren't much more advanced when I got to college in 1979. We moved all the way up to punch cards!

Anybody remember the teletype? Punch cards? Paper tape?

Oh......hell no.........Yes, I remember those well. When I went to CDI for programming training, that is all we had for loading the programs. It was a PITA whenever the punch card sorter jammed up and you had to go back and repunch all the messed up cards. Floppy drives weren't even invented yet. Amazing how far we've come in just less than 40 years.

Just got a new wireless router for the house myself...it is awesome. Great coverage.

Linksys - Wireless-N Gigabit Wireless Router with 4-Port Switch:

5b179793020a1d45ef3ec7d9e70f36c5.jpg

The blue lights aren't so bad on this one. I have it hidden behind the LCD TV in the center of the house.

BTW Andy, E.T. can phone home with light on your router.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts