Wheel Spacer Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an ‘05 Trac and I want to keep the stock wheels, but it really looks like the stock offset is wrong, particularly in the rear. So, I’m looking for some answers and also some opinions on wheel spacers.

After doing some reading, I read that the use of spacers was for correcting a wheel offset for aftermarket wheels to bring the geometry back to stock. I have read that if you were to draw an axis between the upper and lower ball joints, the line should be at or close to the center of the contact patch where the tire meets the road. A spacer on stock front wheels would change this and probably affect steering, wouldn’t it?

It is probably less of an issue on the rear wheels since they don’t turn (obviously), but my question is can you use them just on the back, which is really what I want to do. Would this affect anything such as steering (maybe an over or understeer problem) or suspension issue? Also, doing just the rears now sets the rear out of line with the fronts.

Lastly, does anyone manufacture them in steel? I have seen thick aluminum break when it’s cold outside.

Thanks,

Matt

I run 1.5 inch aluminum spacers front and rear. Makes the ST look great. (the 285 series tires help as well tho) I haven't had a problem yet.

I have 1 1/4" on the back only. Brings the rears out flush to the fender.

Of course, no effect on steering with them on the rear only. Can't comment on the front.

1 and 1/4 on the rear will work with the OEM rims because the OEM's have the dimples. OEM explorer 4 door rims require a 1.5 spacer..

I have the aluminum Ebay ones, Just install them right, and with many burnouts, rough riding, and the way I drive, they have been fine...

Todd Z

As Todd mentioned, using 1 1/4" spacers with aftermarket wheels that have no indentations (like mine) required me to cut off the unthreaded portion of the studs.

I bought the aluminum ebay 1.25" spacers also. What do I use/How do I...

cut off the very end of the factory studs to make them flush with the

spacers?

kd your running spacers on your 07 ????

Todd Z

I have not installed them yet. I am having BF Goodrich

All Terrain T/A K/O 265/65/18 tires put on the factory

wheels on Saturday, I bought the spacers to remedy a

possible front rub. The front lugs do not appear to extend

beyond the spacers, but the rears definitely do. I need to

alleviate my fear of trimming the studs. I do not have to

trim any threaded portion. Looking for advice...

Only removing the non threaded part on the tip will not effect any thing...

That is there to protect the threads and allow for the lug nuts to properly thread them selves...

IF you install the rims carefully and the lug nuts by hand at first you will be fine..

Todd Z

I used a hi-speed air motor with a cutoff wheel.

You could use your electric drill. Remember to thread on a nut before cutting to clean the threads when you remove the nut after the cut.

Don't worry about the cutting. The threaded portion is still intact.

:)

Latest posts