Wheel Scratches in clear coat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Vidmar

Reaction score
I just went in for my first 5,000 mile rotation on some new tires I bought earlier this spring. When I got home, I was disappointed to see some nice scratches on the wheels. The scratches have a swirl effect, so I assume they are from the impact wrench. I know they weren't there before. The guys at Big O Tires were knee-deep in a bucket of KFC when I got there, and only took about 15 minutes to do the rotation, maybe I should have waited until the feeding frenzy was over!!

Any ideas on how to get rid of the scratches, aside from using their foreheads and some rubbing compound?? :angry:

I have made Discount Tire and NTW, replace wheels for being careless. Nowdays I stand right there in their view, when getting tires....

Go back and talk to the manager. Explain to him that nowadays, with the disc brake

setups and all, front and rear, that no self-respecting mechanic, shop, or anyone

therein, worth their weight in salt (if they know what this means), would use an

impact wrench to re-install wheels. This can cause disc brake rotor warpage, and

also distortion on the rear drums, if you have rear drums. They should use a torque

wrench to properly re-tighten the wheels to the flanges/studs to avoid this. It

is O.K. to use an impact wrench to REMOVE wheels, but never to REINSTALL them, as

this leads to the warpage problem. Also, if push comes to shove about the warpage,

tell them that you didn't experience this problem before, and that you feel it is a safety

issue, as you have been told by a certified mechanic, that this condition can lead

to pedal pulsation,: premature wear of the brake linings due to pedal pulsation,: and a

host of other problems. Oh, and by the way, I know you were just concerned for

now about the scratches on you wheels, but trust me, if they tightened them with

an impact wrench, it's only a matter of time before you notice these symptoms!

Jim,

Be aware that some tire stores have signs or have wording in the workorder you sign that states they are not responsible for damage to wheels, and even damage to your vehicle.

I once went into a store to buy some custom wheels, and the guy told me that they would not be responsible if the wheels got scratched, bent or broken while they mounted them. I had never heard of a store that sold custom wheels that could not be responsible if they damaged a wheel. I asked him why he felt they would not be responsible? He claimed that they did not have the special tire machines to mount the tires. They only had coventional tire changing machines that can damage alloy wheels. And since they mounted the tires for free, they would not be responible for any damage. Needless to say,I bought my wheels at another store that had the right equipment and guaranteed their work,

...Rich

Latest posts