Wheel issue?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Stadnicki

Reaction score
I have one wheel (07 Limited plasti-chrome) that if it is rotated to the front drivers side makes a noticble plastic cricking noise while driving (0-40mph). If I hit the brake it goes away for a few seconds, if I put a turning force on it quiets down. I had this wheel on the rear and don't seam to hear it. It's made it's way rotated back up front and the noise is back.

This morning on my way to work, I heard a good pop and the plastic cricking noise got conciderably worse. I turned around went home, put it in the garage and got my car.

The first time this happened, 6+ months ago, I took the wheel off and inspected everything and didn't find anything noticable. Rotated the tires and all was good. I only got 26k miles on this 4x4.

The rest of the morning- now I'm running late because of truck issue. I got popped by a speed camera in my Mustang, then a huge crime scene accident closed the Suitland Parkway, I get around that mess and then the South Capital Street bridge is closed for maintenance, then I got detoured into the DC ghetto and got lost 5am (dark)! I finaly found a way out and got to work 30 min late. Oh, and my computer started to die last night. :(

I guess I'll be pulling the truck apart this afternoon, allways on a Sunday/holiday this stuff happens....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard many complaints about the plastic chome wheels. They glue it on the face of the wheel. Wheels flex so slightly you cant measure it. If it is not glued properly, they are noisey. I think it is a cheap shot to do chrome wheels that way.

My wife has them on her '08 escape. Since we seperated she doesnt wash her car. I noticed one day they were getting stained. Brake dust and road grime I couldnt wipe off.

Maybe ford will warranty it.

I noticed my wheels are getting pitted up and stained too a little. I was looking at new wheels, but I don't like dumping alot of nicity money into my daily driver.

I managed to pull the wheel off yesterday and found a snapped stud still held to the wheel by the rotor clip and three other lug nuts were starting to loosen. So much for that air ratchet torque limiter set I bought. I checked all the others and most were 20 under torqued.

What a b*tch getting that broken stud out. Luckly the new one slipped right in without having to remove the hub. All seams good now, knock on wood!

Latest posts