Wheel hop and helper springs resolution

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Hedin

Reaction score
With the advent of snow in my area, I was reminded of the issue I've always had where, if I'm climbing a hill, and gun it, I would experience wheel hop in the rear suspension. This is a 2003 sport trac with limited slip rear btw.

So I looked on the web last night and read on several different truck forums that many had success installing helper springs to address this issue.

Several were recommending the Hellwig traction control springs available from J.C. Whitney. A few others mentioned that Autozone had some lower cost helper springs.

So on the way home from work this evening I pulled the trigger on Autozone's "1500lb Full-Time Over Leaf Spring Assist" from Superior Automotive. $49 a set.

Installation was quick, although I had to jack and pull each rear wheel for better access. A really large "C" clamp is required to squeeze the spring enough to get the rear shackle on. I installed them of the forward half of the spring. It took me about 45 minutes for both sides.

Let me tell ya, the best $49 spent on the trac to date. Wheel hop...is gone. And, it is not overly firm. My new shocks (that I put on in August) now feel like they are working properly.

This was a very worthwhile upgrade.

I was thinking about the thicker rear sway bar, but after this I'm not so sure I need it. I'll think about it after I've evaluated this spring upgrade a little more..

Happy and now ready for winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I agree with Eddie's traction hack. I think you are better off installing them over the spring and compressing them down as intended. As such they will still prevent axle wind up and you won't impact ground clearance, not to mention the better load carrying capability. To each his own I guess.

After driving to/from work today I've decided to forgo the sway bar upgrade. These helper springs seem to address the side to side "head bobbling" issue when going over speed bumps as well. The rear suspension just feels better all around. Less bouncing around when hitting a dip in the road etc.. I can't overemphasize how much better it is. Co-worker went to lunch with me and also noticed the improvement.

I see that Pep Boys also sells these springs for a little less. I should have gotten them there, as I have a coupon...Grrrr.

I'll post a picture after I trim the excess front shackle bolts this weekend.

As I indicated, the only tricky part of installing these is having some sort of large C clamp or spring compressor to get the back shackle started. You could probably improvise something with some threaded rod and an extra shackle plate. Other than that it was a piece of cake.

HUH? SAY WHAT? EXCUSE ME? I CAN'T HEAR YOU, MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS BROKEN!!!!!! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts