Wheel Bearings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Beil

Reaction score
Took my '07 V8 Trac in again. I had this loud humming, vibrating sound, wasn't sure what it was, assumed something wrong with the transmission again.:blink:

Dealer called me back and said Good news and bad news, not the transmission but your rear wheel bearings are bad.:(

I am no mechanic, far from it, but should wheel bearings be wearing out this soon for an '07? I have 56K on the truck and I do tow a trailer 3 or 4 weekends a month, but still??

They also said another TSB was out and they will run that, see what happens with that.

Also they did recommend to change the transmission fluid I said go ahead, I know some of you have run into dealers that are not willing to change it, just FYI.

I have always expected rear wheel bearings to last over 150K. Never personaly had any fail before that. Makes me wonder if some of the complaints from other gen 2 owners, are wheel bearings. A few have had vibration and balancing problems. With independent rear suspension. A bad bearing can be magnified with the independent axles.

Unless your towing is overload, that is a short life.

Thanks Fast Eddie

I would not say my towing is overloaded, at most 5,000lbs and I keep the tongue weight to a minimum as much as possible.

I was definitely pretty weary when i heard this and I probably should have said I want a second opinion but it is already being repaired. I will talk to the dealer when i go in. He seemed knowledgeable on the phone, knew about transmission problems and spark plug problems.

Just wanted to post a follow up, incase anyone runs into this.

I did have the left rear wheel bearing replaced and it did fix the problem, don't hear the grinding, humming sound anymore. Hope this isn't a bigger issue, had the double check the other 3 bearings and they said they were ok.

Also, had the transmission flushed and replaced, transmission runs alot better now.

Latest posts