Wheel bearing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Shelley

Reaction score
Need to replace front wheel bearing (4 X 4). Checked the project section and found the CV/half axle project. This project gets close to the wheel bearing.

Has anyone replaced the bearing?? Seems like the half axle can be replaced at the same time once the whole side is opened up.

Any help is appreciated.

The ST is a 2001. 181,000 miles

Thanks

Go to projects and search "hub" and it will give you a project on changing those

Here's some pics that may help

[Broken External Image]:

uneven tire wear, grinding or whining noise while driving but not while stopped... jack the front end up so the tires arent toughing the ground and grab a tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and shake it back and fourth if it moves its a bad hub bearing or a very bad ball joint

Methinks I'm there, in a bad way. Kinda late to the 'bad bearings/hubs/knuckles' news... so late that the last time i drove the'trac, it sporadically started humming/vibrating from & feeling like it was dragging in the front right. Worried me pretty badly; has been parked since. Any thoughts on which it might be? Instinct says a bad bearing trying to sieze, but I'm just some idiot on the internet.

When Travis says shake, what he means is, to push the top in while pulling the bottom out. Then do the opposite, (top out while pushing bottom in). Do this back and forth. If you get a minute amount of movement, your ok but it is wearing. If it goes KLUNK KLUNK or moves like a half inch, then it is bad.

yea when i did this to mine i put my hand on in to support myself when i was kneeling down to check it and it went cluck so i didnt even have to try all to hard

Well, the blasted thing is rock solid... so ow i have no clue what's up, :banghead: other than maybe a sticking caliper...? What's the best way to check for that, just pull the wheel off & cycle the brakes? Sorry for the thread derailment.