What's the CEL clear procedure?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Munday

Reaction score
On my truck (Ranger) I've replaced the stock fuel tank with one in the bed...everything was good; until I got a CEL. I'm fairly confident that it's a code for "fuel cap not on tight"-- my truck doesn't have a seperate "check fuel cap" light-- and the seal between the stubby fuel neck and the tank was not very good, not air tight at least. What does it take to self-clear the light, other then disconnectiing the battery; that's not an option, my battery is under the bed and is difficult at best to access. I may be able to get the code read and/or cleared tomorrow at work. I've resealed the tank and sturdied up the neck, so it shouldn't be throwing up a "loose fuel cap" code anymore.

I think someone posted something like that a few days ago. If I remember correctly it should go away after a few days of normal behavior.

I've had a CEL self-clear in the past, but I'm not certian of the exact procedure...I always thought it was three consecutive cold starts without the trouble code that cleared it.

It might be that. I'm not exactly sure. I'll try digging up that thread.

Edit: I went back like 3 weeks and couldnt find it. Might've missed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from a little test drive, maybe 15 mins. Truck drove normal (other then the horrible tire shake at first from the low-pro, stick tires that have been sitting for a month....), but CEL is still on. I'll just have to keep an eye, ear, and nose out for anything abnormal and try to get the damn light cleared soon.

I think it might be 150miles before cel will clear itself. The trouble code sticks for awhile until the computer has cycled for a long enough period of time with no trouble codes.

Spend $40.00 on an OBD II reader. If you want me to, I will pick one up and drop it in the mail for you.

You could also visit Autozone.

Tom

We should have a scanner at work to check and clear the code, but thanks anyhow Caymen.

I totally missed that thread, but then again, there have been a lot of recent threads that I've missed, thanks Coastie.